Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Thursday December 13, 2018 at 02:45
davidcasemore
January 2003
On December 13, 2018 at 00:50, hunterjwizard said...
That makes a lot of sense. I found several 5-terminal pheonix connectors plugged in to one of my devices, somewhere I have a bag of a dozen or so more. If I can't track that down, they appear to be commong enough, a quick search yieded plenty on amazon. I've got a mess of serial cables but can get more.

Those plugs come in millions of sizes so good luck! I would reach out to Extron to see if they can sell you some. Or at least give you the part number (I call them Phoenix connectors but that's actually a brand name). I'm guessing that if you bought it used on Ebay or some such place they "forgot" to include the plugs.

The real fun is going to come with the devices like the RGB-DVI 300, which doesn't have a full serial connector, just a 3-terminal phoenix port. If I am wiring that to a similar port on the IPCP, could I just use something like twisted pair, or just string together any sort of wire?

It really depends on how long the run is. RS-232 wasn't designed to go long distances (usually under 10 ft but I've seen 50 ft. runs work). You could use the wire from an actual serial cable and just remove both ends. However Cat5 UTP will work just fine. If it's a 3 conductor terminal then use one twisted pair for Tx/Rx and then double up a second twisted pair for ground.
Fins: Still Slamming' His Trunk on pilgrim's Small Weenie - One Trunk at a Time!

Hosting Services by ipHouse