Your Universal Remote Control Center
RS-232 & IP Control Forum - View Post
Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from


Original thread:
Post 4 made on Saturday February 3, 2018 at 12:38
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
A standard RS 232 cable is designed to connect a DTE (Data Terminal Equipment, e.g. a display or computer) to a DCE (Data Communications Equipment, i.e. a modem). To connect two DTE's together you need a null modem cable, sometimes called a crossover cable. Look up Null modem configuration on the Web, I am sure it is there. In most situations today you will see a "Serial Cable" called out. This is a 3 wire cable whose voltages, rise times, etc. do not always follows those specified in the RS 232 spec. The three signals in a serial cable are ground, transmit and receive. In a serial crossover cable used to connect two DTE equipments the transmit and receive lies are crossed. The signal pin out is: ground pin 5, transmit pin 3, receive pin 2.

Hosting Services by ipHouse