Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 39 made on Friday July 24, 2015 at 11:52
BizarroTerl
October 2002
On July 23, 2015 at 19:30, goldenzrule said...
Well I am talking about you, not Fins. Since you are on his ass about leaving full documentation, I am guessing you leave everything I mentioned, right?

I'm not in the CI trade. I'm in the trade Fins appears to have little respect for and even less knowledge of. By his logic if there's one idiot CI installer then they're all idiots.

I've managed IT for several organizations and SOP is that everything is documented fully. If a vendor is contracted, full documentation requirements are in the contract and no payment is made until everything is signed off. We pay for the work and we own the documentation. If there is a CI install at a site it isn't exempt from these requirements. This isn't limited to vendors. All systems/network/software/etc are fully documented.

People leave. Vendors go out of business. Running IT for an organization requires the management of increasingly complex mix of vendors, technologies, business systems, system integrations, and employee interactions. Documentation is a cost control measure and even more importantly it is critical to minimize business disruptions. We don't compromise that to satisfy someone's ego.

So I guess you can say that yes, when I leave a organization IT is fully documented. Will the highest level of management realize this? Possibly. I can guarantee you that my replacements do. Unless of course, they're some idiot IT guy. ;)

Hosting Services by ipHouse