The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 45 made on Saturday February 9, 2013 at 11:17
etc6849
Long Time Member
September 2010
Banned for what?!? Maybe you should read Presinium's post and the rude language used toward other users.  I suspect if I'm banned, so will he.

So what,  a user can't post a review of a product in a forum that specifically says it's for user reviews of products?!?  No wonder why Control4 grows in market share every year, even during a recession.

The users on remotecentral provide as much good advice as the pros.   RemoteCentral can ban me if they want, but I don't think I did anything wrong except honestly review how I felt about some of URC's products.  I own 2 MSC-400's, 2 MX-900's and an MXW-920.  Of course, I bought them from ebay on the used market far below dealer cost, but does that make me a bad person worth calling stupid, narrow minded or poor?

The only semi-useful thing Presinium said was that an SDK is available.  If so, how would my dealer obtain it and is it something that can truely offer two-way RS232 or not?  Last I heard it was in beta and the dealer I asked did not know how to obtain it.  Of course, Presinium says I'm stupid for not knowing information that's not on URC's public website at all and after talking to two dealers.

The only examples of two-way I've heard are via drivers URC has to write, publish and make available.  It seems this is the way URC has done business for many years.  I understand this may be changing, but how robust of a solution is it?

I had planned to spec out an RS232 two-way protocol and pay a local dealer hourly, but the dealers around me are not computer programmers and are clueless about this SDK.  If someone could provide more info I'm sure the place local to me will be willing to work with me.

I want an RF remote with full two-way communications.  I want it to do things similar to the following:

1. Allow paging a remote so it can be found.  This would invoke a short repetitive beep until the remote was found.  The action (page) would be triggerd by my HA system.

2. Turn the background red when my alarm system is disarmed or there's a weather alert.  

3. Display text of what's playing in Windows Media Center

4. Be able to send messages with custom text, including caller id information, etc...

I can easily implement these things on the HA side using a tcp socket (IP based) or RS232, but can URC Total Control really interface well or not?

I think I must have struck a nerve as several are quick to call me names instead of provide any real technical information.  Seems to me when this happens, I have valid technical points that folks can't easily refute.  

Especially when it comes to the two "professionals" in this thread saying you can't use the same program on multiple MX-900's.  Pretty funny if you ask me.

On February 7, 2013 at 23:00, Presinium said...
Lol haha you guys are really that narrow minded? 99%+ of people that are interested in these solutions dont want to do it themselves and wouldnt be able to if they wanted to. If you can't afford a pro , buy harmony or buy windows 8 tablets and program your own systems from scratch ... Why sit around and cry By the way total control has a sdk so please check your facts before making claims ... uneducated insults at a company makes you look stupid... extra vegetables has a sonos app coming out and I am working on a xbmc module now.
FREE Home Automation software called Premise: [Link: cocoontech.com]
[Link: cocoontech.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse