The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Tuesday January 8, 2013 at 04:38
MrHaugen
Long Time Member
March 2010
Thanks a lot for the detailed info, Josh. I appreciate that.

First of all.. I've been highly interested in IT for almost 20 years now, and worked professionally with it for 10 years. I think home network are better than most small to medium businesses out there. I've got 1 Gbit cabled network everywhere, fault tolerant servers, a virtual test and production environment, and a rather decent 48 TB SAN. So, this is not really my concern :-)

I would probably never use URC's own media networking capabilities either. I relay on my own media network with JRiver Media Center. It's the heart of all my viewing and listening experiences in my home, as well as outside of it. So, that will probably never change. I use phones and pads with android to push and pull music and video when it's suited. But I would like something else than this for my living room. A responsive system, that works for all equipment. A system where I can add more components. If it's a good system, I might include more controlling points for tue URC system in other rooms in the future. Money is not my big concern, but adding a lot of components to control a few units it not my biggest wish :)

My biggest concerns with this remote are how easy/hard it is to program, and if are any help available if I can't do it. I can't possibly justify having somebody come and program my remotes. I don't think there's much dealers of this system in Norway anyway. I'm way to techy and experimental for a system I can not upgrade my self. They would have to come by my house once a month to test out new features in my network. That's why I have a few very concrete questions I hope you can answer.

1. Would it be possible to show us the code of a simple driver, so I get an idea of how complicated this programming is? A portion of the code (if there is much) or a screenshot would probably do the trick.

2. If a person get's stuck with the programming, are there forum with helpful people that can help you out if you have some specific problems?

3. Regarding the Wifi responsiveness. Is it a problem in every day use? I expect it to take 2-3 seconds for it to connect to the Wif if it's not been touched for a long time. But will you have problems with the remote not reacting to commands you issue during a movie for instance? When you just pick up the remote and quickly want to change the volume or set the movie to pause?

Hosting Services by ipHouse