The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Saturday December 29, 2012 at 03:23
Presinium
Long Time Member
September 2011
No nerve hit - it's just that from the outside, how our business works (and needs to work) is not seen or understood very well.  I understand your feelings and as a programmer if I wasn't apart of this industry I would agree with you, absolutely!

That being said, you are also right that IP will grow - that isn't a possibility that is a 100% fact.  Systems are already evolving... I personally don't even use the "CCP" line of remotes that URC makes I use URC's TC (Total Control) which is 100% network based and I can send TCP/IP commands from all the products even those that don't use WiFi to communicate.  

I also use Crestron and have dabbled in many others (Command Fusion as stated) which provide the open architecture... what I found is that while >I< can make much "cooler" systems that do much "more"... at the end of the day the average consumer never used them and I was not only wasting my time but their money.

If Best Buy told you they "can't" use the files you provided, it's because you had the old-style files and they don't know that it's easy to import those files right into the CCP programming software (it's kind of a counter-intuitive feature in the software that not many people know about).  URC doesn't support the old-style software anymore so they probably "thought" they had to start over... which isn't the case AT ALL.

As I said - if you had all the correct files I would have done it for $300 easy (possibly less) - but I would have to look at that file and make sure the previous programmer wasn't an idiot (and as a programmer, you know looking at anyone elses code has you going "WTF were they thinking" even if it was probably good in other ways).

Good luck. 
Josh Edman
Los Angeles, CA
(888) 415 - 5855

Hosting Services by ipHouse