The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Saturday December 29, 2012 at 01:55
conroyw
Long Time Member
November 2010
I did mention I had the configuration program and files didn't I.  My comment of each remote being a clone is based on reverse engineering the configuration of each remote, in addition to downloading and reverse engineering the configuration of the MSC 400 master and slave unit.  As I get ready to change the configuration of the remotes I will continue to look for any differences in configuration.  So far I haven't found any.

I appreciate your comments but you failed to catch the basic theme of comment.  I am a professional programmer and am aware how difficult it is to reverse engineering someone else work.  The tools Universal provides professional installers are archaic and poorly designed to support you.  Lacking something as basic as a print function or the ability to export a configuration into a standardized format such as XML makes these devices extremely time intensive (expensive) to reverse engineer. Point of my comment was that some standardization or tools need to be built to support these types of devices or this business will go the way of the dodo.  Requiring $6k or $15k to add a single device due to someone going out of business needs to be factored into the cost of bulding a custon system.  

More sophisticated tools capable of configuration automation and reverse engineering will be built or custom solutions like the URC line will become irrelevant.  Professional programmers, such as myself, will use devices with open architectures and sophisticated tools to build interfaces that do not require closed end custom tools that leave no options.  Each of the new devices (TVs, Audio systems, video switchers, and Network to IR devices) are being delivered with TCP/IP stacks on the devices, excellent wireless network speeds, and devices with IP and bluetooth connectiviy such as the android and iPhone provide a very sophisticated infrastructure to eliminate these remotes and their supporting infrastructure.

If you think I am clueless look at the capabilities of the current flat panel TVs.  Most come with TCP/IP connections, Netflix, Pandora, uUnp streaming capability etc.  My HAI OmniPro II controller already controls my Russound Cav/Cam controllers through my Ipad using TCP/IP.  Only thing I use the URC remotes and MSC devices for is to control the Key-Digital Video switchers.   Their primary value is the large equipment lookup tables containing the codes to be sent out through the serial or ir ports. I would like to reuse as much of what is currently in my home until I am forced to change direction.  

Hosting Services by ipHouse