Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Friday December 28, 2012 at 11:34
AVXpressions
September 2002
I agree that the MX-5000 is probably the remote for you based on your needs. I could name others but price point seems to be a concern with you so the MX-5000 will be your best bang for the buck. There have been ongoing updates to the MX-5000 to address things such as the delay in wifi wakeup and it is a lot better now.

The key to using any type of control device on a wireless network is the wireless network itself. It needs to be stable and very strong signal anywhere you plan to use the wireless device. Using things such as wifi expanders or repeaters is a very very bad idea. You need to use a good Access Point (or points depending on the size of the structure) that will provide a stable signal. Look at Ubiquity, Engenius, or ruckus for quality access points to provide a stable wifi network.

Using an MRX-1 plugged into your network will give you the wi-fi gateway to control things on your hardwire network that are available for IP control. As long as a device is on your network anywhere in the house it will be controllable.

You can add a standard RF antenna to the MRX-1 and control equipment via RF. This is nice for things such as cable boxes. Stick an emitter on the cable box and your good to go.

Or if you prefer control it with IR directly out of the remote.

For your additional rooms you can add small MRF-260 base stations which are relatively inexpensive. They have front panle blasters on them so you don't have to install the emitters on each piece of equipment if you don't want to.

With all due respect to the original poster you are trying to jump off in the deep end of the pool and the water is going to be way over your head. What you want to accomplish is fairly simple (for me) but based on your questions alone you will struggle making it work reliably and efficiently on your own.

I'm sure you don't play dentist when you need your teeth worked on, or plumber when you have a pipe burst, you hire a professional. It's now time to do that. You can probably find an installer willing to work with you some and I know there are dealers who are willing to provide a legitimate copy of the programming software when you purchase the product from them. Call some local guys and find out who sells URC products and see if you can strike a deal.

Hosting Services by ipHouse