The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday December 26, 2012 at 18:34
conroyw
Long Time Member
November 2010
One of the interesting challenges with using Professional level remotes programmed by a professional instaler is what to do when the indstaller goes out of business.  I committed when I had my house built to use the URC line of equipment.  I have 2 MSC-400 bases that control multiple different types of AV equipment.  

I recently switched from MediaCom to AT&T uVerse DVRs.  Called up installer to have what should have been a pretty easy programming change.  Found installer went out of business.  Went to Best Buy who said the "Geek Squad" was capable of making change.  When they saw the equipment they said they would not touch anyone else's programming.  If I wanted to have them make any changes to my remote they would want to completely reprogram the remote and I was looking at $10k-$15k for the work.

I have been a progrmmer in a recent life, now I a senior IT guy, and wanted to have the remote done by someone in the trade.  I was given an archive copy of the programming software when they company folded.. My desire  to give the work to a local company and helping a local company stay in business ended up screwing me.  I was given an archive copy of the software and have downloaded the remote comfiguration and will start the programming effort myself.  

I would caution anyone wanting to use these custom remotes to ensure they have access to multiple installers in the event one folds.  In my case I have 2 msc-400s, 2 mx250 units and 7 MX900 remote controls running my home audio/video distribution.  I am lucky, while I do not desire to become fluent on programming URC equipmnt, I have enough programming experience, training, and aptitude to accomplish the task.  The normal reiial customer would be totally screwed.  This industry needs to come up with a better way to help the installers without hosing the retail customers or it will go the way of the dinosaur.

Hosting Services by ipHouse