The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 52 made on Sunday December 2, 2012 at 15:12
goldenzrule
Loyal Member
July 2007
On December 2, 2012 at 14:57, CPP said...
I agree with much of what kmlingenfelter posted above. Had a similar issue - purchased a couple MX850s (with software) years ago from Tweeter. Of course, they later closed down, so I could no longer get updates, and the remotes ended up in my box of useless electronics. With my blissfully poor memory, I read about the MX1200 and bought one from Amazon without realizing the software didn't come with it. So here I am again... I won't bother trying to argue my views of URC's policy - suffice to say I'm willing to work with it. While I'd still like to give the MX1200 a shot, I'm not interested in owning a programmable remote that I'm not allowed to program. Since URC allows installers to provide the software, I would be happy to return the Amazon remote and buy one from a dealer here (for a competitive retail price) IF we can have an agreement that I will be able to get the software and updates as they are released. Any takers? Please shoot me a PM if so.
Thanks,
Cliff

The MX1200 is a great remote, and of course requires programming knowledge. If you programmed the MX850s in the past, you should not have too much issue with CCP, although it is a little different and there will be a slight learning curve, but not too bad. The problems that most people have is with purchased equipment from unauthorized channels, and in turn, no software or support. They then blame URC, and not the online retailer they purchased from. Returning the remote to Amazon as you suggested is a good idea, and purchasing from someone authorized is the way to go. I don't mind providing software to my clients, and am sure if you state where you live, you might find someone local willing to work with you. The only thing I have to warn you is that the remotes do have an MSRP that most dealers adhere to (or within the range of that mark). The price you paid on Amazon will not be in line with what the remote is supposed to sell for, and I would be willing to bet was even below our cost on the piece. So please keep this in mind. Good luck with your endeavor.

Hosting Services by ipHouse