The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Sunday November 25, 2012 at 06:09
MrHaugen
Long Time Member
March 2010
On November 23, 2012 at 13:14, Lowhz said...

That being said, the MX5000 is an OK remote, but its wifi capability is best suited for use with the PSX2 iPod dock for 2-way metadata (there is a URC driver written for it in CCP), you can install the little news and weather widgets on it through CCP, and if there is a driver for it you can see volume control and radio station preset info on the screen if your AVR has IP control Nd there is a driver for it. Network latency make for sluggish feel of volume and channel commands with that remote over wifi, not to mention the network has a tendency to go to sleep after a certain period of time to preserve the battery charge.

This worries me a lot. My primary use is my HTPC with JRiver Media Center. It requires fast reaction from the control unit. It's the reason why I'm trying to go away from my Harmony 900. So, if the latency of commands over Wifi is bad and wifi has sleep issues now and then, this is really not an option. Damn it. This remote is the only one seemed perfect for my use.

I never use iOS/OSx either. I just can't support evil companies that cares so little for their customers needs, and tries so desperately to gain monopoly with dirty tricks :) (my opinion, yes). I only have Android Phones and Pads, and will get a Pad and Phone with Win8 soon as they have some great hardware.

The other alternative are the new line of Total Control remotes, but I'll not get software to program it my self. Or I might not be able to do it if I could get it. Even if I had the money to spend on customization, I would probably not get any help because I live in Norway. I doubt there are any dealers here. This pretty much breaks any hope of me using URC top-of-the-line remotes. So, what are my alternatives NOW?

You mentioned the MX-980. I see that this remote have no Wifi capabilities. And that is not good. It would mean changing the remote ONLY to remove the latency issues with the Harmony. In addition you have this huge and probably expensive base station that's needed to use RF. I'd still need to place the base station on my attic, and drill a hole for one of the IR emitters to place it in the roof, about 6 meters away from my AV equipment. My Harmony 900 with base station already do this today. I have to say I see little point in changing hardware...

WHY are there no companies that can produce a one handed remote with Wifi,
RF and IR capabilities ON the remote it self? Those of us that almost only have the need of controlling things close by don't often want huge base stations, IR emitters everywhere and dealers needed to program everything. Cost is not the major issue in my case. The biggest problems seems to be that there are no products to cover my needs.

Sorry about the negativity. Just a bit frustrated that this should be so hard to do. Thanks a lot for all your input! If nothing else, you've at least helped me prevent buying something that would not work for me.

Hosting Services by ipHouse