The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday November 22, 2012 at 05:16
MrHaugen
Long Time Member
March 2010
I've been looking at a product to replace my Harmony 900 remote for some time now. But I'm struggling to find something to fit my exact needs.

First I looked at the MX-5000 or 5000i, but now I see that URC have introduced a new line of remotes called Total Control. The TRC-1280 looks like my kind of remote, but it seems to be a lot of prerequisites for this to work as expected. Complicated setups does not scare me, as I have multiple servers and clients in several rooms. But I would like it simple if it can be, and it can't cost several thousand bucks.

The TRC-1280 seems to only work with the MRX-10 or MRX-1 base stations. In addition I've read that the TRC-1280 does not include IR control, so you'll have to transmit IR from the base station. Further more, I have the feeling that you'll need a base station in other rooms as well if you want to control IR devices, lighting and other stuff. Is this correct? It sounds like it will be a pretty hefty price tag on such a system.

Perhaps some of you can help me figure out what's right for me? I have to limited experience except for some Logitech remotes....

My setup today:
I've got a Harmony 900 remote that control my cinema setup in my Living room. Sparp 70 inch TV, AsRock 3D HTPC, Yamaha 7.1 reciever, PVR/TV Tuner, Xbox, PS3, Wii. All connected trough the reciever and to the TV. The lighting in the living room is RF, but I think it's a pretty closed system. If doable, I would like to control the existing system, or to change some of it to fit my Remote/system. The current system I'm using is xComfort (Eaton?).

I'd like to expand on this and create more RF or Wifi controlled lighting in the house when I renovate. Perhaps a few zones for music. But that will be controlled trough the HTPC with JRiver Media Center 18. Probably just cabling needed.

Remote control of the Theater setup have to be either RF or Wifi. HTPC can be controlled directly by Wifi, but the other components need a converter or direct control via IR. The remote have to react with very little latency. I'm going nuts by the latency issues introduced with the RF to IR converting on the Harmony 900!

As you see I don't have a multi room setup (yet). So what would work for my need, and not lock me to much down for further expansion?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hosting Services by ipHouse