Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Tuesday September 20, 2011 at 22:59
el gran chico
Long Time Member
November 2007
Angus, here is some info you might find helpful:

1) Both CBC and its French station shut down their analog transmitters in Barrie with no local digital replacement. Only signals from Toronto are available, channel 20 English (maps to 5.1 to replace old analog 5), channel 25 French - more on that in a bit. Both those transmitters were on the CKVR tower (not far from the old Molson brewery). What was odd about this is that CBC saved both the English and French analog transmitters in Kitchener almost the same distance from Toronto. Penetanguishene still has its French CBC channel.

2) CTV has digital channel 9 from Toronto and I believe analog 21 from Orillia. And of course you have CTV-2 from Barrie (Channel 10 mapped to 3.1)

3) Global is on digital channel 7 in Midland or digital 41 in Toronto

4) CHCH is on digital channel 23 near Honey Harbour (remaps to 67.1)

So you can already see the challenges - you have both VHF (channels in the 7 to 13 range) and UHF (channels in the 14 to 51 range), transmitters to the North of you and to the South of you.

Further complication things, there is the Oak Ridges Moraine in the way between Barrie and Toronto. That is a huge obstacle for OTAers. Barrie OTAers will need sufficient height to get a signal from Toronto. Doesn't sound good when you say "I live in a poor reception location, lots of trees & on the low end of a downward incline", although a 20 foot tower sure helps!

How old is your antenna? Is it both UHF and VHF? Does the rotor work well? What type of cable runs from your antenna to your tv? By booster, do you mean a pre-amp?

It's possible a few minor upgrades could help your situation a lot. I know several people in Barrie can get all the Toronto channels and even some of the strong Buffalo stations so don't give up hope.

By all means, contact your MP but don't hold your breath waiting for action. Very few of them even know what OTA is. I'm not an NDP supporter, but the one MP who does know this issue very well is Charlie Angus, the MP from Timmins. He's the opposition critic for Canadian Heritage which the CRTC falls under. You may want to contact him too.

If you want to name names at the CBC, the people who made the call to not save Barrie's analog transmitters are Bev Kirshenblatt and Steven Guiton. Google their names with "digital" and you'll find a number of things that will make OTAers cringe.

You say "I feel as though citizens with TV antenna's are treated very poorly.Another sad sign on how big business Cable Compannies rule the airwaves." You couldn't be more correct! :-(

Hosting Services by ipHouse