New Sony RM-AV3000 review!|
A big remote that does big things: that's one description that could fit Sony's latest universal remote control, the RM-AV3000. More than just a cosmetic update of the RM-AV2100, the $199 RM-AV3000 boasts an impressive list of capabilities: a big, bright touchscreen, control of 18 devices, up to 1000 learned signals, 32 macros, 12 timers, editable labels, menu hard buttons and much more.
There's no denying that the RM-AV3000 is one of the most able remotes available for under $200 (significantly under $200 on the Internet). But how does it look, feel and operate? Well, in answer to those and other questions I'm pleased today to present Remote Central's full review of the Sony RM-AV3000. In addition to our photo-packed in-depth look at Sony's top-of-the-line remote, you'll also find a quick programming guide. You may also wish to discuss this remote with others. Enjoy!
Read the new review here!
Philips ProntoEdit 4 released!
Today is a big day for Pronto owners! Philips has just released a new all-in-one version of ProntoEdit that handles both US and European
versions of black & white 1mb and 2mb remotes, plus ProntoPro 8mb editions. Since it's designed to handle everything, ProntoEdit 4 provides
complete file interchangability.
Basically, this version replaces the three currently required: ProntoEdit v1.05, ProntoEdit v2.0 and ProntoProEdit v3.4. As such, it adds
all "post release" editing features to older remotes, including mass bitmap replace, "pack and go", multiple gallery selection, etc. Be sure to
also check out the Pronto forum for the latest buzz.
- All Pronto models supported from one softwarepackage.
- New fully-indexed in-program help manual.
- Unique galleries used for each model.
- Copy an action list from one button to another: hold down the "shift" key while dragging the source button onto the target (works the same as the existing "alt-drag" procedure for button bitmaps).
- Customized IR code names are once again supported.
- Improved beep tone creation screen.
- Enhanced user interface.
- Alias list now stays open to the last accessed device and page.
- Fixed the "0 byte" file issue, which essentially deleted a file on disk if attempting to save a file larger than the maximum allowed on the remote.
- Improved device connectivity.
- ProntoPro RF setting can now be set for the Home and Macro sections.
- Updated firmware: ProntoPro and RU970 updated to SYS v1.3 / APP v1.4; the TSU2000 moves to SYS v4.8 / APP v5.3.
- Firmware changes for the ProntoPro and RU970 feature enhanced stability, correction of an RF transmission problem with long codes,
improved low battery warnings, proper label propagation from the home page hard buttons to devices, and a correction to a crash that
can occur when exiting the hidden games.
- Due to an enlarged code database and other features, available user memory has dropped from 6144kb to 5952kb on the TSU-6000 and 5667kb for the RU970 (which apparantly contains an even larger "worldwide" database).
Download ProntoEdit v4.0!
This news report was updated on May 18, 2006.