Hello, I am new to the universal remote scene and li'm ooking into getting one I am using the "suggested criteria info" that vbova suggested.
I would like to spend no more then 100$
- Brief detail of system (type of components)
I would be using this to basically control a Vizio Gallevia TV (2 years old), a Kenwood Sovereign vr-5900 receiver. I have a playstation3 and xbox 360, but i have no problem using the controllers as remotes. Now here is where it gets tricky. My receiver is old and only has component inputs. The xbox and playstation are hooked via hdmi directly to the TV, and then i have ran separate toslink optical audio cable from each one into the receiver ( lets say aux 1 and aux2 for arguments sake) I will need a remote that would allow me to push 1 button to say turn the tv on, turn the amp on, set the tv to the proper hdmi input and change the receiver to the correct input as well (aux1 or aux2)
It was also need to control a Comcast DVR/Cable box
- Include multi-room control if needed (not after the fact)
NA just one room, no need for RF
- zones, rooms, size of house
- Touchscreen preference
- Hard button preference
- Location of equipment as it relates to the usage area
All components about 7-8 ft away
- control type your looking for (RS232, two way control vs. RF vs IR only)
IR i believe ??
- Current or previous remote control
Comcast basic remote
- Level of expertise in home theater as it relates to your project
1-10 i would say 5
- Desire to program/install system yourself or consider installer?
I would program this myself, im fairly "tech savvy"
- Who will be controlling this system (Children, seniors, people in house)
Wife and I.
- Eyesight issues
- Any complicated goals you wish to reach (streaming, PC based, etc)
- How you see your system growing in the next 3-5 years
I will probably be buying a receiver that is HDMI capable so that i dont have to use the optical cables. I will also be switching to FiOS soon as well
What do you think?
Last edited by jfrack77 on January 14, 2010 17:52.