RemoteCentral.com
RS-232 & IP Control Forum - View Post
Previous section Next section Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Topic:
Issues controlling Sony XBR-75X850D via RS-232 (3.5mm jack)
This thread has 3 replies. Displaying all posts.
Post 1 made on Tuesday June 27, 2017 at 08:24
SeanHoganJll
June 2017
I am having an issue with controlling a Sony XBR-75X850D via RS-232 (which is a 3.5mm jack on this model).

Previously I have used an Extron MLC 62 RS D which sent a RS-232 command to a Sony CEC converter (used a classic DB9 connector for this one). The CEC converter converts the RS-232 to CEC and sends it along an HDMI cable to the TV. This was working for a few months but has suddenly stopped. Now I am trying to go directly to the TV with the RS-232, though I have to use a 3.5mm jack to do so. I am having trouble getting the TV to recognize any RS-232 command from that 3.5mm jack. I triple-checked the wiring and the settings on the TV to make sure everything is set correctly.

Does anyone have any experience/success stories with controlling these XBR's via serial? Or is it a lost cause that I should abandon?
Post 2 made on Sunday July 30, 2017 at 14:50
brodyboy
Long Time Member
April 2008
Mine is a slightly newer generation (Z9D), but I'd expect the function to be the same. I do remember seeing that some recent generations required a firmware update to activate the RS-232 "mini-port." I had a little trouble at first, but I did get it working.

In any event, I basically did the following:
* Got an RS-232 to 3.5mm converter from Amazon
* Confirmed that the pin-out was correct (tip=Rx, ring=Tx)
* Set the IP control parameters as specified (On, Normal & Pre-Shared Key)
* Set RS-232 control to "Via serial port"
* Set Standby to "Enable"
* Turn the set off

It may or may not be important, as I'm not entirely sure which of my tweaks finally got it working, but try sending Standby Enable as the FIRST serial command, before Power On.

Also, make sure the baud rate is at 9600. I had it too high at first, based on an older Sony protocol doc. Speaking of which, I still don't have a current RS-232 command list. After dealing with five levels of Sony support! It's ridiculous that they don't just post this on the product support page like every other manufacturer....
Post 3 made on Thursday August 3, 2017 at 18:21
Shaner
Long Time Member
October 2012
What control system? Is IP control an option?
Post 4 made on Wednesday August 9, 2017 at 17:25
brodyboy
Long Time Member
April 2008
IP is an option for the Sony Bravia TVs*, but that's not what I'm using....I've set mine up with RS-232. My control system is Nevo, with Q50 handhelds and NC-50 z-wave hubs. (The Nevo S70 does IP control, but I prefer the Q50, which does not.)

*According to the documentation, which is exceedingly poor. I cant comment on whether real-world implementation works as well, or is set up as readily, as the RS-232 control I'm using.

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse