RTI Control Systems Forum - View Post
Previous section Next section Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Topic:
RP-6 and ECB-5
This thread has 9 replies. Displaying all posts.
Post 1 made on Friday November 14, 2008 at 00:54
Steven366
Long Time Member
November 2008
Hey guys,

I have a client who has a small RTI system with a RP-6 and T2-C. When we pre-wired the house, we wired for a lot of different TV locations. The client, now wants a TV in his library, on the bottom floor, a floor away from the RP-6, and he wants another 2 TVs in another 2 rooms. One a Gym and one a sitting area for the family, etc. I know I can daisy chain multiple 433's but will the RP-6 be able to support me adding 2 ECB 5s?

Sorry if its a dumb question, just never needed to do this before and I don't want to sell him something that will not work.

Just taking extra precautions.

Thanks in advance guys,

Steven.
Post 2 made on Friday November 14, 2008 at 01:05
SDZD
October 2003
The short answer is yes. It will be able to use a ECB-5. You will might have to add a power supply to the ECB-5. You can also use a Xantech 789-44 for the IR Connecting block (4 IR instead of 5) or you can use the CPB-1. The CPB-1 will not be able to be wired to the RP6 but is might be a good solution for you.
OP | Post 3 made on Friday November 14, 2008 at 01:11
Steven366
Long Time Member
November 2008
SDZD,

Thanks, I just wanted to be sure I can add multiple ECB-5s. So as long as I add the power supply to both, I should be fine, correct?

Thanks again!
Post 4 made on Friday November 14, 2008 at 01:36
estech
August 2002
A power supply for an ECB5 is not necessary for IR. It is just a convenience port for powering up an RP1.

For your system, the ECB5 is simply driven by the High-Out and Ground from the RP6
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Post 5 made on Friday November 14, 2008 at 02:44
Benford AV
August 2007
I think he wants to route the IR from one of the ports to an ECB-5.

I think you would need to power the ECB-5 so it can amplifiy the IR signal from the RP-6.

I've never done it though.
The Soundwave
www.the-soundwave.com
B&W, Classe', Rotel, Paradigm, Integra, Denon, Audioquest, RTI, Niles, Pioneer Elite, Bell'O
Post 6 made on Friday November 14, 2008 at 05:23
mbaer
Long Time Member
September 2008
ecb-5 is passive...no amplification of signal, as estech says. the high out should be able to drive 2 ecb-5's, if single, non-feedback emitters are used
Post 7 made on Friday November 14, 2008 at 08:36
JoeyCes
One In A Million
May 2004
I run multiple ECB-5's off RP-6's all the time, without power, and it works lovely.

Two will definitely work.

As Estech mentioned, the connections are High Out & Ground.
OP | Post 8 made on Friday November 14, 2008 at 17:15
Steven366
Long Time Member
November 2008
On November 14, 2008 at 08:36, JoeyCes said...
I run multiple ECB-5's off RP-6's all the time, without
power, and it works lovely.

Two will definitely work.

As Estech mentioned, the connections are High Out & Ground.

Okay,

PERFECT!

But,

Like Benford AV said,

I wish to be able to rout IR from one of the Ports to ECB-5. They client has identical cable boxes and Sharp LCD displays in these areas.

Would this be possible? Or would I need to use a Xantech peice that can rout IR and connect them to High Out & Ground?
Post 9 made on Saturday November 15, 2008 at 02:17
estech
August 2002
If I am properly reading your description, they want to add 3 TVs with identical cable boxes to an existing system. Does the existing system also have a TV and cable box?

Are you planning to run one RP6 port to each of the new TV locations? That's three ports (or two and the High Out) plus the ECB5s for each new location. You could use IR ports with their gain turned up to drive them. Will you have enought ports left for the original system?

However, I think you will find it much less time consuming (read cost effective) to use an RP1 at each new location. You are obviously planning on adding new remotes, ECB5s, and emitters. Explain that the time saved will help offset the cost of the processors, and once you program one, the others are basically done. Not to mention the voltage sense input for managing cable box power. And you're not spending hours routing IR for every cable box and TV command, times 3, or 4.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
OP | Post 10 made on Saturday November 15, 2008 at 03:16
Steven366
Long Time Member
November 2008
Estech,

I just talked to the customer today, and he went from adding 2 TV areas to 4, and 2 with AVR and DVD, Apple tv, etc. I'm going to try and talk him into XP-8 and RP-6's for expansion, or just go with your idea, RP-1 in each TV location. Yea the its more expensive than an ECB-5 and a 433, but, like you said, less time consuming, and easier to program!

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse