Hi and thanks for checking in,
I need advice on what sort of system to use for a networked home audio system. Here's what I can tell you:
- 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 reception room apartment (in London, UK).
- The flat/ apartment is about to be gutted so I can wire CAT5/6 wherever necessary
- My budget is not great - I probably don't want to spend more than £1,000-£1,500. And i'm happy to buy second hand bits on eBay if that means I can pick up a better system that would normally be out of my price range. And would like to install the system myself to keep costs down
- I want music in at least one bathroom, one bedroom (possibly both), and the reception room (max 4 areas then)
- My music (and films) is on an external hard drive (ethernet attached to wireless network). It's the Western Digital My Book World Edition 2TB Home Network Storage as per [Link: amazon.co.uk]
- I have a MacBook Pro...
- ...a 2nd Gen iPad
- ...an iPhone 4S
- ...an Xbox 360 that I haven't touched for about 3 years
- ...a Yamaha amplifier - DSP-AX757SE which I've never used properly as I find it rather complicated (but am happy to try to set up better)
- I currently have a Panasonic HD TV, 42" Viera plasma, which I'm thinking of swapping for a Samsung LCD ES8000.
- I have a standard o2-issued wireless box with one USB port and 4 ethernet ports.
- There will be a TV in both bedrooms.
- In the lounge I have KEF surround speakers - 5 x 2005.2 eggs and sub-woofer.
- There may be Sky TV at some point
My goals are to have music networked throughout, playing from the WD hard drive. I'd like to be able to select music from each room. And be able to have different music in each room, or the same music throughout.
I'd like to be able to use the iPhone/iPad as a controller also.
And I'd like to be able to play films from my hard drive on the TV upstairs but this isn't essential.
I hope that's everything! I've been researching this a lot but can't find any definitive solution. I guess that's because everyone's needs are different so it's really a matter of a case by case basis. So, please help me not make a bad selection! Advice on the type of system, and speakers would be great.
I've looked at Sonos and Squeezebox and Russound (a bit). The former I understand are retrofit, and I was thinking I should have better options given I can run CAT5, and hopefully cheaper too. The Russound looked expensive. I am not sure what else is out there. I'm probably going to get an Apple Time Capsule. And have looked at Apple TV as well, although not familiar with how it can integrate yet. Nor have I looked in depth at Niles or Speakercraft or Aton etc...
Sorry for lame budget thing.
Thanks for your time, and look forward to hearing your thoughts!