RemoteCentral.com
Audio, Receivers & Speakers Forum - View Post
Previous section Next section Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Topic:
Device's like TIVO without monthly service charges?
This thread has 13 replies. Displaying all posts.
Post 1 made on Monday January 22, 2007 at 21:34
Golferoftheyear
Long Time Member
January 2007
Is there a way to have DVR capabilities without paying a monthly service fee to subscribe to a programming service? I know the value of being able to click on a show that I want to watch 3 days from now and knowin that it is the right show at the right time, but my parents like the technology but don't want to pay a monthly fee for anything (it's not even worth arguing with them). They would buy a device that costs them one time if there wasn't a monthly fee associated with using it. any thoughts?
Michael Lake at mdl32002@yahoo.com
Post 2 made on Tuesday January 23, 2007 at 00:08
Control Remotes
August 2003
Media Center PCs can do this. Problem is, the PC costs more than you'll ever pay for DVR service. The benefit is you can have as much storage as the computer can handle.

Thank you,
Damon DG
= = = = =
http://www.ProRemotes.com - Authorized Dealer & Remote Programming Services
Remote Programming Services for URC Remotes
http://www.PremierAVDesigns.com - 914-509-5360
Follow me on Twitter @HomeTheaterNY
Post 3 made on Tuesday January 23, 2007 at 02:42
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Their position is indeed not reasonable. They don't like the technology if they are willing to pay for no technology at all. When I like something, I'm willing to pay for it. If I'm not willing to pay for it, well, I don't like it that much.

They are asking for a Model T that you don't have to crank by hand, but they are not willing to pay for a starter motor. Other metaphors welcomed!

You might have to be blunt and tell them that the solution is to buy the local large Sunday newspaper and go through its weekly TV schedule by hand, then manually program the DVR to record the correct channel at the correct time. This might show them the value of the monthly fee, especially if the guide they get can be used for one-button record programming.

If they balk at paying a monthly fee for the newspaper, they can always scramble in to the library first thing Monday. This will require a monthly expenditure for gas for that particular set of trips.

They can also perhaps get this info for their local area via the internet, but that requires a monthly fee of either DSL or a phone line.
We can't give you a good answer, or maybe any, without the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw
Post 4 made on Tuesday January 23, 2007 at 14:14
DBrown
Founding Member
February 2002
Both I and my Mother-in-law have Tivos without a a monthly fee. How? Pay them a one time fee of (I think it was $299) for a lifetime contract. Considering that sometimes you can get a TIVO free (with a rebate) it's a pretty good deal.
Post 5 made on Tuesday January 23, 2007 at 15:40
GMPCM
Long Time Member
December 2006
If you have cable TV you can typically upgrade to a DVR cable box for around $6 - $12/ mo. extra. Pretty hard to beat when equip cost, depreciation, and wear are considered.

Last edited by GMPCM on January 23, 2007 15:52.
GMPCM Artificial Intelligence Management Systems

http://www.hd-radiopc.com
Post 6 made on Tuesday January 23, 2007 at 15:58
OTAHD
October 2005
Tivo won't let you pay a lifetime fee anymore.

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder that allows you to play the DVD back while recording on it. Works sorta like a DVR. It was something like $180 and with blank DVD's so cheap nowadays it works fine.
LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!
Post 7 made on Tuesday January 23, 2007 at 19:02
GMPCM
Long Time Member
December 2006
Heh, that’s not a bad idea at all. I believe D-VHS works similar to that too. If you have an internet connected PC nearby running XP, you could install AIVMS along with a USB-UIRT and then use TitanTV as an interface to schedule one-click recordings on just about any AV recording device. The only real caveat being that the PC would have to be running when the scheduled recording was started, but PC's are pretty cheap now and even old severely outdated PC's work great for something like that.

Last edited by GMPCM on January 23, 2007 19:08.
GMPCM Artificial Intelligence Management Systems

http://www.hd-radiopc.com
OP | Post 8 made on Wednesday January 24, 2007 at 08:52
Golferoftheyear
Long Time Member
January 2007
Turn's out, Super Member, that my parents (while sometimes cheap), are not alone and there are some viable solutions out there! Thanks everyone!
Post 9 made on Wednesday January 24, 2007 at 19:27
Daniel Tonks
Wrangler of Remotes
October 1998
There *are* standalone DVR boxes that use the free TVGOS program guide rather than the cable company's or TiVo's. I have one. But some people have great difficulty getting the TVGOS service working correctly (mostly due to local issues).
Post 10 made on Wednesday January 24, 2007 at 23:08
OTAHD
October 2005
What brand/model do you have?
LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!
Post 11 made on Thursday January 25, 2007 at 15:55
comet
September 2004
I have an older Dish Network DVR receiver that has no monthly service fee. It was a special they had going. Pretty basic unit but works great in the bedroom.
Post 12 made on Thursday January 25, 2007 at 20:14
Geronimo
Founding Member
November 2001
Wal Mart sells DVD recorders witha hard drive. With that work for you?
Post 13 made on Sunday January 28, 2007 at 02:08
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On January 24, 2007 at 08:52, Golferoftheyear said...
Turn's out, Super Member, that my parents (while sometimes
cheap), are not alone and there are some viable solutions
out there! Thanks everyone!

Hey! You asked us for help and we shared what we could. Would you please share what you can? What are the solutions you are looking at?

Thanks...
We can't give you a good answer, or maybe any, without the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw
OP | Post 14 made on Sunday January 28, 2007 at 18:12
Golferoftheyear
Long Time Member
January 2007
My apologies to all super users. My somewhat tart response was meant for Ernie alone in response to his post. Everyone else has been extremely helpful. Once I make a decision on a DVR solution, I will post for others to use. Thanks again, you all have given me some great leads.

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse