CKVR-TV Barrie – Licence amendment
1. The Commission approves the application initially filed by CTV Corp. to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language conventional television programming undertaking CKVR-TV Barrie in order to add a post-transition digital transmitter to serve the population of Barrie.
2. The new post-transition digital transmitter, CKVR-DT, would operate on channel 10 with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 8,900 watts (maximum ERP of 11,000 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 332.3 metres).
3. The Commission received an intervention in support of this application from an individual. The Commission also received an intervention in opposition and a comment in connection with this application from individuals concerned about changes to the station’s coverage area as a result of the proposed amendment. The Commission considers that the proposed digital transmitter sufficiently replicates the current analog coverage. The public record for this proceeding can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca
under “Public Proceedings.”
4. The Commission reminds the licensee that pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, the licence amendment will not be in effect until the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
5. The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 31 August 2011. The Commission expects the licensee to inform it in writing once this transmitter is in operation.