I just tried the URC 780. It seems to be an excellent remote. My intent is not to bash it. I have been a user of URC programmable remotes, since their inception, into this type of remotes, with the MX 1000, 15 years ago.
I think mx 780 is possibly the best value for the money and offers good flexibility. CCP software is excellent.. I was very familiar with MX software and the CCP was not hard to learn. You improved on the short comings of the MX software and it shows.
Thanks for including a sleep function. Not many others (if any) seem to have it.
It has very few short comings - that I can see. I am writing here so that other users also can make comments - either on my comment or other issues.
1. Almost everyone uses a DVR. While you guys put the red/yellow/blue/green buttons and the menu button, did you not realize that most people would also use the "LIST" (button to display pre recorded progams)? Yes, I realize that this can be programmed into the LCD buttons but in my opinion, a LIST button is more important than a MUTE or Prev CH button. The menu button (in a directv DVR is less used than the LIST).
2. You have no database for Projectors? You need to increase your data base.. The new feature of importing from the data base makes programming very easy.
3. I like your two step macro idea (press once VS push and hold), even though I did not use it. I also like your Variable state option.
4. You should include the "Direct On/off" IR codes for the X10 (these are available in the Pronoto world, for you to copy). Direct On code is when you can send one IR signal rather than use a macro to turn a X10 device on. In some cases, where there are multiple X10 devices, macros can get long (X10 macros do seem to work better with a .5 sec delay between commands). I do admit, direct ON/OFF codes, when used, seem to cause some issues some times.
5. It would have been nice to include the "buttons light up when lifted" feature. Its not too much to ask, in a $300 remote. Obviously, many users would be using this remote in darkened rooms.
Last edited by audvid1 on February 25, 2012 10:46.