Previous section Next section Previous page Next page Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Page 3 of 5
Topic:
Favorite brand of rock speakers
This thread has 65 replies. Displaying posts 31 through 45.
Post 31 made on Thursday July 19, 2007 at 12:15
tweetymp4
Select Member
March 2003
what mr. hookup says about rockoustics has been out experience with Stereostone. The drivers themselves die in no time and they keep saying it's abuse. I poor design, you can't have a terminal cup in the bottom of a speaker.
I'm Not an engineer, but I play one on TV.
My handle is Tweety but I have nothing to do with the organization of similar name. I just had a really big head as a child so folks called me tweety bird.
Post 32 made on Thursday July 19, 2007 at 23:08
mrhookup
Long Time Member
August 2005
Outdoor Speakers that fade in color are generally not UV protected. What tweetymp4 said about Stereostone, is disappointing to me.
Jeffrey S. Albaugh
Post 33 made on Thursday July 19, 2007 at 23:44
2nd rick
August 2002
On July 19, 2007 at 01:58, mrhookup said...
We are powering both pairs
with a Harmon Kardon HK 3480 (120 w/channel). These are
fairly large Rock Speakers with 8" woofers.

Well, placing 2 pairs of 4 ohm speakers on a receiver (even a stout model like that H/K) is a recipe for disaster.

Even if the amp doesn't go into thermal protect, there is ZERO headroom left.

Outdoor speakers don't have the luxury of boundary reinforcement that indoor speakers have. To play loud, you need more speakers, clean power, and lots of headroom.

the voice coil is burnt & that is abuse,
and so it is not covered.

Perhaps some kids (or the babysitter's boyfriend) played them at mach 5 and put that receiver into hard clipping... That would toast the VC, and it is definitely "abuse".

My personal opinion is that they should have covered that set under the warranty and noted that they appeared to have failed as a result of abuse, and with the stipulation that if that pair comes back for the same issue, then they would not be covered.

I can't wait for
Cedia Expo in Denver in Sept. I have some choice words
for Rockustics then!

I heard that Tony has left... Well, one of them.
I think there were two Tonys at Rockustics as of last year.
Rick Murphy
Allnet Distributing
Troy, MI www.allnetdistributing.com
Post 34 made on Thursday July 19, 2007 at 23:56
homesystemsguy
Long Time Member
March 2006
On July 19, 2007 at 02:10, JBJ SYSTEMS said...
He said TruAudio - LOL

Have you used them lately? They were terrible before they were revamped. Since they did they are one of the best I have heard in their price range.
TruAudio is one of the most underpraised lines available. They build a quality speaker with great margins and they are not in any Big Box stores.
Post 35 made on Friday July 20, 2007 at 00:56
tweetymp4
Select Member
March 2003
On July 19, 2007 at 23:44, 2nd rick said...
Well, placing 2 pairs of 4 ohm speakers on a receiver
(even a stout model like that H/K) is a recipe for disaster.

Even the commercial Stereostones are rates at 8ohm. In my opinion the failure rate is just too high.
I'm Not an engineer, but I play one on TV.
My handle is Tweety but I have nothing to do with the organization of similar name. I just had a really big head as a child so folks called me tweety bird.
Post 36 made on Friday January 4, 2008 at 17:30
Zonie
Long Time Member
December 2004
On May 1, 2006 at 02:43, Steve Garn said...
The sound quality and the looks of the Niles really impress
me. They look like ROCKS! Most rock speakers don't look
like rocks or speakers - more like odd colored dinasaur
poop. Most blat too much midrange to cover a wide outdoor
area too. Niles has a more ? "indoor" or pleasing sound
to me.

That Odd Colored Dinosaur Poop comment is hilarious, because we all know that when you pull the Rockustics out of the box they smell like Dinosaur poop too. Dogs like to piss on them for some reason, maybe it's the smell......
Post 37 made on Friday January 4, 2008 at 17:48
billbailey71
Founding Member
April 2002
Speakercraft, Speakercraft and ..... Speakercraft. Plenty of sizes and colors, DVC, Subwoofers , and they have a lifetime warranty with advanced replacements!! Beat that.
Post 38 made on Friday January 4, 2008 at 18:22
Zonie
Long Time Member
December 2004
You know you only buy Speakercraft because your rep is cool, Wayne, you probably have Niles is in your backyard, ha ha, beat this.

Did you ever see Tommy Boy?

My favorite part, ok second favorite part is the quote below:

But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.
Post 39 made on Friday January 4, 2008 at 22:32
billbailey71
Founding Member
April 2002
LOL..... Awesome movie!!
Post 40 made on Saturday January 5, 2008 at 11:30
Mr. Stanley
Elite Member
January 2006
I think Blose could corner the outdoor market...

They could do a sub sat-set up... Disguise the subwoofer inside of a fake sleeping dog (complete with fake fur of your choice), the satellites could be disguised as piles of dog poop.

Last edited by Mr. Stanley on January 6, 2008 01:22.
"If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger."
Frank Lloyd Wright
Post 41 made on Saturday January 5, 2008 at 13:09
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
I was wondering why no one mentioned the Boston rock speakers? I haven't used them yet but from what I understand they are Boston Voyager speakers put in a rock casing. We use the Boston Voyagers a lot and I know they sound good so I would think the rock versions sound good too.

As for Niles rocks, we have used those for an outdoor theater/restaurant at a high end private resort and were very satisfied with them. They were scattered around the gardens for background music. We used Voyager 6's in the theater area. Its a 7.1 setup
Civil War reenactment is LARPing for people with no imagination.

Post 42 made on Saturday January 5, 2008 at 15:17
WhiteVan Lifestyle
Loyal Member
July 2007
Im going to have to back up the TruAudio guys on this one. They are great speakers and should be recognized.

Another company that makes great outdoor speakers and a very nice in-ground sub is Terra. They do not make a rock speaker though.
Safe 'n Sound Central Coast CA www.mysafensound.com [Link: facebook.com]
Post 43 made on Thursday January 31, 2008 at 08:27
rjt4re
Lurking Member
March 2006
I've been trying to get through to Rockustics for over a week now. I get "mailbox full" from thier repair department and no response to the voice mails left with the operator. I would definitely NOT make these an outdoor speaker of choice again!
Post 44 made on Thursday January 31, 2008 at 14:49
tweeterguy
Loyal Member
June 2005
On January 31, 2008 at 08:27, rjt4re said...
I've been trying to get through to Rockustics for over
a week now. I get "mailbox full" from thier repair department
and no response to the voice mails left with the operator.
I would definitely NOT make these an outdoor speaker
of choice again!

It's probably all catching up to them. Putting out poor quality products can only get you by for so long and then BAM you are covered in RMA's, emails and voicemails from those that you've pissed off.

Update: I've recently done a few Speakercraft rocks and they sound quite nice...time will tell about the finish's longevity. The warranty and service from speakercraft leaves me with no worries though.
Post 45 made on Saturday July 12, 2008 at 10:34
drewski300
January 2007
Has anyone used the James Loudspeaker GS-109 system? This looks really cool but not sure on the sound quailty/performance. I like rock speakers but I don't think they always fit in with the way the outdoor space looks. I'm not even sure this in-ground sub could be used in MN, what with -20 degree temps and ground shifting.
"Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"
Find in this thread:
Page 3 of 5

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse