Previous section Next section Previous page Next page Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Page 1 of 2
Topic:
Analog over cat5
This thread has 20 replies. Displaying posts 1 through 15.
Post 1 made on Sunday December 2, 2018 at 18:07
magyar01
Long Time Member
May 2008
Guys,
I'm taking over a system that a customers of mine have in their house they just purchased, here's what I need to do. I need to get the audio from a smart tv over to a closet that has a Sonos Connect/Amp combo running their whole house audio. The only cable running from TV to closet is a cat5. I was thinking about using a decent audio extender but all the ones I've researched are for Toslink or Coaxial digital connections. I of course have an optical out on the TV, but only an analog input on the Sonos connect. I've tried sending analog over cat5 with simple baluns but I've never had much luck, usually to much hum in the signal. I'm open to changing the Sonos connect as a source if needed, they have no other Sonos products in their system. How would Heos work as a stand alone source? I see that it has both optical & coaxial inputs, I could then use a good, powered extender to get a digital signal over the cat5
Post 2 made on Sunday December 2, 2018 at 18:38
buzz
May 2003
Would there be any advantage using the CAT-5 for Ethernet? Would there be any need for surround sound from the TV? Why do you need a connection from the TV to the audio system?
Post 3 made on Sunday December 2, 2018 at 19:44
ichbinbose
Select Member
August 2011
Send the audio back over the cat5 via optical and then convert the optical to analog.
Make sure to set the audio out to pcm
Post 4 made on Sunday December 2, 2018 at 21:44
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
What analog baling have you tried before? Because I never encountered hums with a decent balun
Civil War reenactment is LARPing for people with no imagination.

Post 5 made on Sunday December 2, 2018 at 21:45
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
Btw, why does the connect have digital inputs but the app doesn’t? WTF?

Post 6 made on Sunday December 2, 2018 at 22:38
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
This is where mislabeling of "adaptors" as "baluns" might be what bit you in the ass in the past.

A balun should have infinite resistance between its analog audio input and its CAT output. This is accomplished with a transformer. That gives you ground isolation, the lack of which is probably why other products have given you hum.

An adaptor incorrectly called a balun -- and they exist -- directly connects a hot lead to one wire of a CAT pair and connects that hot lead's ground to the other wire of that pair. No ground isolation results. Hum is likely.

Believe it or not, a car audio device intended to reduce hum might work for you. It's two audio isolation transformers with RCA cables coming out of each end. I think these wholesale in the twenty dollar range. Jensen transformers will do the same thing, more cleanly, with better frequency response and richer pricing.

Unlike "baluns," you won't need one of these at each end. You'll want to see if you get less hum with it at the sending end or at the receiving end.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw
Post 7 made on Monday December 3, 2018 at 08:46
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
The less expensive but very good alternative to a Jensen isolator is Edcor.

PAC is one brand of car stereo isolator that works and it's slightly over-wound, so it provides a slight increase to the signal level. It also has input and output labels. I had also used the ones from Radio Shack- if you still have one of their free-standing stores or a Hobby Town, they may have, or could order these (if they still offer it).

Here's a store locator-

[Link: radioshack.com]
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Post 8 made on Monday December 3, 2018 at 08:51
edizzle
Loyal Member
March 2005
If you do need an analog extender, the Transformative Engineering SB-1 is one of the best around.
I love supporting product that supports me!
Post 9 made on Monday December 3, 2018 at 09:07
ShaferCustoms
Long Time Member
March 2014
TV optical out to

[Link: metrahometheater.com]

To

[Link: audiocontrol.com]

To house audio system
Post 10 made on Monday December 3, 2018 at 09:16
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
[Link: gefen.com]

Post 11 made on Monday December 3, 2018 at 09:38
Archibald "Harry" Tuttle
Advanced Member
May 2009
I came to this thread for Earnie's balun lecture.
I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's AV trouble, a man alone.
Post 12 made on Monday December 3, 2018 at 09:44
spoinkster
Long Time Member
February 2013
Metra Home Theater Analog Audio Extender
"Enter clever comment here" Paid endorser of Metra AV Products
Post 13 made on Monday December 3, 2018 at 09:49
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
On December 3, 2018 at 09:38, Archibald "Harry" Tuttle said...

Yeah, we all knew it was going to happen

Post 14 made on Monday December 3, 2018 at 09:55
Brentm
Ethereal Home Theater
July 2003
On December 3, 2018 at 09:38, Archibald "Harry" Tuttle said...

Yep!
Brent McCall
Paid Endorser for
Ethereal Home Theater (386) 846-7264 Cell
Post 15 made on Monday December 3, 2018 at 10:04
jrainey
September 2010
Wait...what is this BAYLUN thingy :)
Jack Rainey - Full disclosure...reformed integrator, now mid-Atlantic manufacturers rep for: Integra, Paradigm, Anthem, Parasound, Atlona, LG TV's and Metra Home Theater...among others
Page 1 of 2

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse