Custom Installers' Lounge Forum - View Post
Previous section Next section Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Topic:
Ooma vs Google Voice
This thread has 12 replies. Displaying all posts.
Post 1 made on Monday March 5, 2018 at 12:31
tca
December 2005
I have an ooma account and I like it. I have no complaints. The quality is great, and I can't tell the difference between ooma and a traditional land line.

I am wondering how it compares to Google voice with an obi so it can be used like an ooma on traditional phones.

Has anyone tried both? If so, which do you prefer?

Thanks.
Post 2 made on Monday March 5, 2018 at 14:43
ichbinbose
Select Member
August 2011
ive tried both and ultimately perfered ooma (regular not Office)
OP | Post 3 made on Monday March 5, 2018 at 23:41
tca
December 2005
Did you prefer the call quality, or just better features?

If google voice with an obi call quality is the same as ooma I would consider dropping ooma and going with google voice. Ooma is about $5-$6 per month (taxes), and google voice is free.

For my personal use, free is better, as long as the call quality is the same. I don't need features.
Post 4 made on Tuesday March 6, 2018 at 16:20
ichbinbose
Select Member
August 2011
Overall ability. For the minor cost i felt ooma gave me more such as a desk phone and i like how they handle call forwarding better as well
Post 5 made on Tuesday March 6, 2018 at 21:08
tomciara
Loyal Member
May 2002
My brother tried a MagicJack, with lots of glitches. He switched to Ooma and all has been good.

I tried an Ooma with my home phone and got over a year of trouble free operation, which gave me the impetus to switch my work phone number over as well. Both have been just fine.

$4 per month x 2 doesn’t bother me in the least. The total of my two land lines per month had been $120. Win.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston Churchill
Post 6 made on Tuesday March 6, 2018 at 23:04
Trunk-Slammer -Supreme
Loyal Member
November 2003
On March 6, 2018 at 21:08, tomciara said...
My brother tried a MagicJack, with lots of glitches. He switched to Ooma and all has been good.

I tried an Ooma with my home phone and got over a year of trouble free operation, which gave me the impetus to switch my work phone number over as well. Both have been just fine.

$4 per month x 2 doesn’t bother me in the least. The total of my two land lines per month had been $120. Win.

Similar experience.

I have OOMA at home and at the beach house. It just works.
Post 7 made on Wednesday March 7, 2018 at 11:58
3PedalMINI
Loyal Member
July 2009
I have moved numerous clients over from comcast to Ooma so we can get a modem in there. (even with CXI its like pulling teeth to get a phone only modem) Most clients just have it for a land line for older folks to call them. When I tell them they only have to pay the taxes ($1.30 -$6) for service they jump all over it.

My parents have had ooma for 5 years now and it just works. Their taxes are $1.09/Month.

the only problem is security systems. There is a way you can get it to work as long the system supports something (i forget the name for it) but most companies are moving people over to cellular anyway!
The Bitterness of Poor Quality is Remembered Long after the Sweetness of Price is Forgotten! - Benjamin Franklin
Post 8 made on Wednesday March 7, 2018 at 13:33
Zohan
September 2010
Ok you guys have me curious about ooma now.

It looks like you need to use their router. Any info on that, is it ok, does it do the things we need it to do like port forwarding, etc?
Is it intuitive to configure or are 5 calls to tech support waiting to happen?
Anyone tried the security?
Post 9 made on Wednesday March 7, 2018 at 14:22
lippavisual
December 2007
The Ooma device just sits on your network and is not a router.
Post 10 made on Wednesday March 7, 2018 at 14:34
3PedalMINI
Loyal Member
July 2009
On March 7, 2018 at 13:33, Zohan said...
Ok you guys have me curious about ooma now.

It looks like you need to use their router. Any info on that, is it ok, does it do the things we need it to do like port forwarding, etc?
Is it intuitive to configure or are 5 calls to tech support waiting to happen?
Anyone tried the security?

You just use their “modem” that attaches to your network. It’s not a router.
The Bitterness of Poor Quality is Remembered Long after the Sweetness of Price is Forgotten! - Benjamin Franklin
Post 11 made on Wednesday March 7, 2018 at 15:43
Zohan
September 2010
Ok, was going off this that says 'router'.
[Link: ooma.com]

Sophisticated technology meets elegant design.
The Ooma Telo is no dumb adapter. It’s actually a small, networked-managed, secure Linux computer packed with processing power to keep your calls clear and reliable.

Breakaway diagram of Ooma Telo
1.Ooma is a full router capable of prioritizing voice data and directing traffic to ensure the most reliable phone service.
2.A USB port supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth accessories and provides future expansion opportunities.
3.Built in speaker provides the ability to screen calls prior to answering.
4.A keypad provides one-touch access to voicemail.
5.DECT radio supports up to 4 wireless handsets and over 4000 sensors.
6.Built-in 900MHz dual-core processor provides the power for Ooma PureVoice™ including HD Voice and adaptive redundancy for a more natural sounding voice without stuttering or interruption.
7.1 GB NAND Flash with dual system image for the ultimate in reliability and upgradability to new services.

Now, if its a modem, is this even usable with Fios?
Post 12 made on Wednesday March 7, 2018 at 16:01
3PedalMINI
Loyal Member
July 2009
On March 7, 2018 at 15:43, Zohan said...
Ok, was going off this that says 'router'.
[Link: ooma.com]

Sophisticated technology meets elegant design.
The Ooma Telo is no dumb adapter. It’s actually a small, networked-managed, secure Linux computer packed with processing power to keep your calls clear and reliable.

Breakaway diagram of Ooma Telo
1.Ooma is a full router capable of prioritizing voice data and directing traffic to ensure the most reliable phone service.
2.A USB port supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth accessories and provides future expansion opportunities.
3.Built in speaker provides the ability to screen calls prior to answering.
4.A keypad provides one-touch access to voicemail.
5.DECT radio supports up to 4 wireless handsets and over 4000 sensors.
6.Built-in 900MHz dual-core processor provides the power for Ooma PureVoice™ including HD Voice and adaptive redundancy for a more natural sounding voice without stuttering or interruption.
7.1 GB NAND Flash with dual system image for the ultimate in reliability and upgradability to new services.

Now, if its a modem, is this even usable with Fios?

Uhmmmmmm. Ok. It’s a device that attaches to the current network regardless of provider. Think of it as a gateway. You plug it into your switch or router, it then adapts the “Ethernet” to phone. It is also an answering machine.
Post 13 made on Wednesday March 7, 2018 at 16:24
Zohan
September 2010
lol....I know what a modem is but my bad...im on percocet right now and not thinking straight.
I was mixing fios and optimum.
So disregard that previous post.
Im going to bed.
And thanks

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse