Custom Installers' Lounge Forum - View Post
Previous section Next section Previous page Next page Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Page 2 of 2
Topic:
WTF?????????????? iPhone shuts off showing 27% charge!
This thread has 29 replies. Displaying posts 16 through 30.
OP | Post 16 made on Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 09:46
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 16, 2018 at 13:01, edizzle said...
what iphone?

iPhone 6- last night, I was still using it at 3%. I let it go dead regularly and don't charge it if it's above 20%, most of the time.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
OP | Post 17 made on Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 09:54
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 17, 2018 at 09:20, mark65 said...
Back to the OP...

What phone and what version of iOS? The issue you are describing was a widespread bug about a year ago. A subsequent iOS update fixed it.

It's not current WRT OS- I don't jump on new ones immediately because they ALWAYS have problems. I'll update it and see if it improves.

Two weeks ago, I turned it on and I saw a white screen with a list of SSIDs and I couldn't get out of it, so I powered it down. When I powered it up again, the screen showed that it needed to be authorized. I wanted to use an app in my iPhone 3 a couple of days later and as soon as it powered up after charging, I saw the same screen for authorizing it.

Is it possible for a virus to reside in a router?
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Post 18 made on Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 11:40
ericspencer
Long Time Member
December 2011
On January 17, 2018 at 09:46, highfigh said...
I let it go dead regularly and don't charge it if it's above 20%, most of the time.

Supposed to be the worst thing you can do for Li-Ion batteries.

[Link: batteryuniversity.com]
Not my circus, not my monkeys
Post 19 made on Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 12:30
Mr. Brad
Advanced Member
April 2008
One of the phones in the family was doing the same thing. Had a new battery installed, and it is better, but still has issues shutting off before the battery gets below 15%........
OP | Post 20 made on Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 13:00
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 17, 2018 at 11:40, ericspencer said...
Supposed to be the worst thing you can do for Li-Ion batteries.

And yet, that's what I was told to do.
Post 21 made on Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 16:29
edizzle
Loyal Member
March 2005
On January 17, 2018 at 09:46, highfigh said...
iPhone 6- last night, I was still using it at 3%. I let it go dead regularly and don't charge it if it's above 20%, most of the time.

that phone is 3+ years old!!!!!!! what in the hell do you expect out of a battery that has been charged and discharged a minimum of 1,000 times. surely more, during the last year, you have probably been charging and discharging more than once a day.
I love supporting product that supports me!
Post 22 made on Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 16:37
imt
Long Time Member
June 2007
On January 16, 2018 at 16:25, Hasbeen said...
My wife is going through the same thing right now with her iphone 6...It's the battery thing that they're getting sued over.

$29 like others have said...Good luck getting an appointment in the store...and when you do get an appointment, hopefully they'll actually have the battery in stock..

They won't. Call the store first before you even make a genius appt to see if they even have batteries. They won't. When I initially tried making a genius appt, with battery replacement option, all the dates a week out were unavail. I looked daily and saw a spot opened up. I assumed that this meant that a batter was avail. I went to discover they have no batteries, no idea when batteries would be coming in. Said probably not until end of Jan, when Apple initially said this $29 battery replacement would start. They did run a check and saw that the battery cycles were high and needed to be replaced. It was my sons iPhone6 and he would get text messages a couple hours later many times or a call would come in and the phone would ring but nothing was displayed.
Post 23 made on Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 19:07
King of typos
June 2002
On January 17, 2018 at 09:26, 3PedalMINI said...
My Festool batteries have been the best batteries I have ever had. Iíve had my drill since 2011 and the batteries have been charged hundreds of times, lives basically outside in my truck during the hot and cold cycles and they havenít lost an ounce of their ability. They are lithium batteries. Either size is a factor or there is something else going on.

Phone batteries and power tool batteries are very different chemistries. As well as the fact that the phone battery are multiple layers of anodes and cathodes. Where as the power tool battery is one layer of the anode and cathode rolled up into a cylinder type of battery.

KOT
Post 24 made on Thursday January 18, 2018 at 02:22
Brad Humphrey
February 2004
On January 17, 2018 at 19:07, King of typos said...
Phone batteries and power tool batteries are very different chemistries. As well as the fact that the phone battery are multiple layers of anodes and cathodes. Where as the power tool battery is one layer of the anode and cathode rolled up into a cylinder type of battery.

KOT

And yet my original comment still stands. I use to get the same use out of phone batteries as well (they lasted for years). But now you are lucky if they go 2 years.

The argument is BS!
The manufacture HAVE done something either in production or use, that deliberately shortened the life of the batteries. All for more profit while adding to the planet's toxic e-waste.
IMHO it is criminal!!!
Post 25 made on Thursday January 18, 2018 at 07:52
jrainey
Long Time Member
September 2010
On January 18, 2018 at 02:22, Brad Humphrey said...
And yet my original comment still stands. I use to get the same use out of phone batteries as well (they lasted for years). But now you are lucky if they go 2 years.

The argument is BS!
The manufacture HAVE done something either in production or use, that deliberately shortened the life of the batteries. All for more profit while adding to the planet's toxic e-waste.
IMHO it is criminal!!!

Yes they absolutely have...they have pushed technology too hard to satisfy our desire for thinner and thinner phones....I believe that is the root of the problem....batteries have gotten too thin
Post 26 made on Thursday January 18, 2018 at 08:37
buzz
Select Member
May 2003
On January 17, 2018 at 13:00, highfigh said...
And yet, that's what I was told to do.

That was a was a technique used for some NiCad batteries. For Lithium batteries the strategy is counter productive.

Post 27 made on Thursday January 18, 2018 at 09:40
edizzle
Loyal Member
March 2005
On January 18, 2018 at 02:22, Brad Humphrey said...

The argument is BS!
IMHO it is criminal!!!

what they phones are doing now cant even compare to what they were doing 2 years ago. the design and advancement in processing and peripherals has FAR FAR exceeds the advancements in battery design. Todays phones have quad and octo core processing, dedicated GPUs, 2k and even 4k screens, cameras, speakers, 4g, BT, and WiFi radios. Pure craziness. these batteries take a beating. Im surprised they still work after two years. with Apple offering batteries for $29, you should replace it every year!!!!!
I love supporting product that supports me!
Post 28 made on Thursday January 18, 2018 at 10:53
imt
Long Time Member
June 2007
On January 18, 2018 at 09:40, edizzle said...

with Apple offering batteries for $29, you should replace it every year!!!!!

Based on what I have heard I think that $29 will be a one time occurrence. The offer is only good till the end of the year anyway. IF you pay the $29 and that battery is found to have an issue or too high of a cycle count then they will replace again. But, if you just want to walk in and ask for a new battery and there is nothing wrong with your, they are not going to replace it for $29 again.

I just replaced one myself in my daughter iPhone6. In her case her WiFi was never working great and the GPS wasn't working either. Issue came up a few months after Apple care expired. I figured I had nothing to loose and bought parts and tool kit from iFixit for the antenna. I bought a battery as well since replacing the antenna removed like 95% of the internal parts anyway. The batteries are held in place by glue strips, so that was a bitch to get out even with the other parts removed. There are pull tabs on the battery to stretch the adhesive strips to break the bond, like command strips, but they broke, which is somewhat typical. So hair dryer, dental floss and plastic card. after doing it I would have also bought the tool they have that heats up in the microwave to loosen the glue holding the battery.

All is working now 100%. Now no rush to upgrade her phone for navigation when she gets her license soon.
Post 29 made on Sunday January 21, 2018 at 13:35
andrewinboulder
August 2003
On January 17, 2018 at 16:37, imt said...
They won't. Call the store first before you even make a genius appt to see if they even have batteries. They won't. When I initially tried making a genius appt, with battery replacement option, all the dates a week out were unavail. I looked daily and saw a spot opened up. I assumed that this meant that a batter was avail. I went to discover they have no batteries, no idea when batteries would be coming in. Said probably not until end of Jan, when Apple initially said this $29 battery replacement would start. They did run a check and saw that the battery cycles were high and needed to be replaced. It was my sons iPhone6 and he would get text messages a couple hours later many times or a call would come in and the phone would ring but nothing was displayed.

Went into my local Apple Store and they did a test on my iPhone 6 Plus as well as my wife's Iphone 6.

Both need batteries replaced. I said, OK let's do it. According to that store, you have to wait about 4 weeks for them to get a new iPhone 6 Plus battery in, since they no longer manufacture this phone.
OP | Post 30 made on Sunday January 21, 2018 at 15:13
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 21, 2018 at 13:35, andrewinboulder said...
Went into my local Apple Store and they did a test on my iPhone 6 Plus as well as my wife's Iphone 6.

Both need batteries replaced. I said, OK let's do it. According to that store, you have to wait about 4 weeks for them to get a new iPhone 6 Plus battery in, since they no longer manufacture this phone.

Just part of the charm.

I did the update to iOS 11- we'll see how well it goes, or if the battery cacks sooner. If I suddenly find that I need a new battery, I'll be switching to a flip phone and a cheap tablet to run the apps. I didn't pay this much for a fargin' phone, just for it to go tits up in a couple of years.

Who has the best deal for seniors? TMobile has two lines for $55 for anyone over 55 years old. I might go that way- then, I can have one line for business and one for personal.

And people wonder why the FCC has realigned the TV spectrum.
Page 2 of 2

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse