Previous section Next section Previous page Next page Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Page 1 of 2
Topic:
SiriusXM tuner to connect to network.
This thread has 17 replies. Displaying posts 1 through 15.
Post 1 made on Tuesday September 12, 2017 at 15:10
Craig Aguiar-Winter
September 2002
A client of mine just signed up for SiriusXM. They sent him a tuner and I've run it's line out to the Aux in on his Casatunes system. However the location of the rack isn't in a place that gets good reception.

I did a little looking around on the SeriusXM website and they don't appear to offer a tuner that can connect to the network. A phone call to their support line was fruitless. She told me to get the boom box they offer.

Searching the web I found this one:

[Link: siriusxm.ca]

But I don't know if it's available. It appears I can find them for sale but my concern is that if it's not current, or is unsupported, I won't be able to activate it on the customers account.

Can anyone offer any insight here?

Thanks.

Craig.
My wife says I can't do sarcasm. She says I just sound like an a$$hole.
Post 2 made on Tuesday September 12, 2017 at 15:25
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
Sonos
Civil War reenactment is LARPing for people with no imagination.

Post 3 made on Tuesday September 12, 2017 at 15:33
tweetymp4
Select Member
March 2003
Echo Dot?
I'm Not an engineer, but I play one on TV.
My handle is Tweety but I have nothing to do with the organization of similar name. I just had a really big head as a child so folks called me tweety bird.
Post 4 made on Tuesday September 12, 2017 at 16:34
Brad Humphrey
Select Member
February 2004
1st I want to let you know that the streaming XM service is not the same quality as the S-band satellite signal service.
​There is a noticeable difference in the quality of audio, as they appear to be using a lot of compression on the streaming service.

​That being said, it might be perfectly fine for the customer as most people are tone deaf anyway and wouldn't know good audio if it ran them over with a truck.

​Just be aware 'if' the customer has a nice audio system that he has listenened to the XM feed thru satellite before - they might complain about the streaming quality and why it sounds bad.

​An answer to your question:
​You can use standard RG-6 to send the feed from an outside XM antenna, into the house to the rack. They make adaptors. Just have to have a spare coax.
​They did make a kit at one time to combine this with an active CATV feed as well. I used one and it worked fine but that was over 10 years ago. I would not try a combining kit with modern CATV systems.

​Have a look at this, has all the pieces you need to hook the tuner up in the home:
[Link: amazon.com]
Post 5 made on Tuesday September 12, 2017 at 17:54
Rob Grabon
Founding Member
November 2001
Saved me once, if you don't mind used, it's discontinued.
Wireless signal repeater.

[Link: amazon.com]
Technology is cheap, Time is expensive.
OP | Post 6 made on Tuesday September 12, 2017 at 18:35
Craig Aguiar-Winter
September 2002
Thanks guys for the assistance.

That antenna is exactly what I need. I have coax in place to the attic from when I prewired.

Craig.
Post 7 made on Tuesday September 12, 2017 at 23:14
edizzle
Loyal Member
March 2005
streaming xm sounds better than an xm tuner.
I love supporting product that supports me!
Post 8 made on Wednesday September 13, 2017 at 00:25
Brad Humphrey
Select Member
February 2004
On September 12, 2017 at 23:14, edizzle said...
streaming xm sounds better than an xm tuner.

Been awhile since I have done an XM setup; but are you sure you don't have that backwards? Pretty sure it was the streaming service with the lower quality.
Post 9 made on Wednesday September 13, 2017 at 00:36
edizzle
Loyal Member
March 2005
absolutely sure. i cant stand xm via a tuner. it sounds so digital and compressed. the internet stream, while by no means esoteric, does not have this. at least to me.
I love supporting product that supports me!
Post 10 made on Wednesday September 13, 2017 at 00:37
Brad Humphrey
Select Member
February 2004
Eric you are correct. I just went digging around the internet and found the numbers. Streaming quality is much better than the sat feed. I had it backwards.

​To bad Casatunes doesn't do SiriusXM. Using a control system that integrates with Casatunes? Otherwise, SONOS or HEOS both support the streaming service and also works with some control systems.
Post 11 made on Wednesday September 13, 2017 at 10:00
PatMac
Long Time Member
February 2014
I stream Sirius XM on my own Yamaha AVR. I also set up most of my clients with it. I hate the quality of the audio in my vehicle's SiriusXM receiver, but the streaming on the Yamaha is much better. It is still compressed, but most people don't notice it. I do. The only thing customer's complain about is when it times out (shuts off) after several hours of streaming...unless there is interaction by the user.
OP | Post 12 made on Thursday September 14, 2017 at 17:25
Craig Aguiar-Winter
September 2002
On September 13, 2017 at 00:37, Brad Humphrey said...
Eric you are correct. I just went digging around the internet and found the numbers. Streaming quality is much better than the sat feed. I had it backwards.

​To bad Casatunes doesn't do SiriusXM. Using a control system that integrates with Casatunes? Otherwise, SONOS or HEOS both support the streaming service and also works with some control systems.

Casatunes used to but SiriusXM changed some ?I dont know what? And Casatunes hasn't been able to reintegrate it yet. Not a big deal usually as this guy is the only person who has ever requested it.

I know that HEOS and Sonos do it but it's not realistic to install 8 zones of either just to be able to stream it, well not for this guy anyway.

In this case that antenna is the perfect answer.

Craig
Post 13 made on Thursday September 14, 2017 at 18:41
kgossen
March 2008
On September 14, 2017 at 17:25, Craig Aguiar-Winter said...
Casatunes used to but SiriusXM changed some ?I dont know what? And Casatunes hasn't been able to reintegrate it yet. Not a big deal usually as this guy is the only person who has ever requested it.

I know that HEOS and Sonos do it but it's not realistic to install 8 zones of either just to be able to stream it, well not for this guy anyway.

In this case that antenna is the perfect answer.

Craig

Why would you need to install 8 zones of either? If you're using a Sirius tuner then a single Sonos or Heos unit would do, you obviously have the amplifiers already. .

You know they make units without amplifiers right?
"Quality isn't expensive, it's Priceless!"
Post 14 made on Thursday September 14, 2017 at 19:56
Brad Humphrey
Select Member
February 2004
But that would make his cost go up. I'm willing to bet he is pushing the guy's budget, just to get what he's doing in.
OP | Post 15 made on Friday September 15, 2017 at 05:21
Craig Aguiar-Winter
September 2002
The system has 8 zones of audio using Casatunes, with a combination of receivers controlled by Casatunes, and outboard amplifiers.

He got a Sirius XM tuner and asked me if I could connect it to his existing set up so I did. But the rack location doesn't get good reception.

It would be silly to introduce a single zone of Sonos just to get app control over satellite radio, so yeah, to give him the kind of unified controlled he has now I would need 8 zones of Sonos, and it still wouldn't control his receivers.

The system is fine. Just need better reception for the tuner.

Thanks for the help.

Craig.
Page 1 of 2

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse