Your Universal Remote Control Center
RemoteCentral.com
Custom Installers' Lounge Forum - View Post
Previous section Next section Previous page Next page Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:
 
 

Page 1 of 2
Topic:
IP control for Comcast - anyone in Savant made it work?
This thread has 18 replies. Displaying posts 1 through 15.
Post 1 made on Monday May 9, 2016 at 14:00
andrewinboulder
Senior Member
Joined:
Posts:
August 2003
1,202
Comcast is claiming they will have IP control now.

[Link: cepro.com]


God that would be nice if actually works.
Post 2 made on Monday May 9, 2016 at 16:02
Impaqt
RC Moderator
Joined:
Posts:
October 2002
5,731
o.O

I'm fully updated on the latest Savant release (8.0) and there is no IP driver for Xfinity X1.
I'm no engineer, but I did stay at a Motel 6 last night!
Post 3 made on Monday May 9, 2016 at 17:10
juliejacobson
CE Pro Magazine
Joined:
Posts:
April 2003
3,016
Neal Roberts at comcast says ... soon, very soon.
"CEPro: your website sucks!" - Fins
www.cepro.com
[Link: twitter.com]
Post 4 made on Monday May 9, 2016 at 17:26
Impaqt
RC Moderator
Joined:
Posts:
October 2002
5,731
On May 9, 2016 at 17:10, juliejacobson said...
Neal Roberts at comcast says ... soon, very soon.

I'll believe it when I actually see it.
I'm no engineer, but I did stay at a Motel 6 last night!
Post 5 made on Monday May 9, 2016 at 19:17
juliejacobson
CE Pro Magazine
Joined:
Posts:
April 2003
3,016
2 weeks.
"CEPro: your website sucks!" - Fins
www.cepro.com
[Link: twitter.com]
Post 6 made on Monday May 9, 2016 at 21:22
IRkiller
Advanced Member
Joined:
Posts:
May 2012
828
Don't worry. Savant will claim they do, then do not. Then, they will have a profile ready and only 60% of it works. The other 40% will actually make the box do things it shouldn't. Then, they will charge for the profile after claiming it's free. If you have to modify the gui for anything other than one room, all changes will revert to another cable provider's SD box. Works well though.
how in the hell does ernie make money?
Post 7 made on Tuesday May 10, 2016 at 00:01
edizzle
Loyal Member
Joined:
Posts:
March 2005
5,694
On May 9, 2016 at 21:22, IRkiller said...
Don't worry. Savant will claim they do, then do not. Then, they will have a profile ready and only 60% of it works. The other 40% will actually make the box do things it shouldn't. Then, they will charge for the profile after claiming it's free. If you have to modify the gui for anything other than one room, all changes will revert to another cable provider's SD box. Works well though.

LOL
I love supporting product that supports me!
Post 8 made on Tuesday May 10, 2016 at 00:13
Glackowitz
RC Moderator
Joined:
Posts:
May 2002
3,735
On May 9, 2016 at 19:17, juliejacobson said...
2 weeks.

This is funny...Now we have Julie Saying 2 weeks.
The letters T and G are very close to each other on a keyboard. This recently became all too apparent to me and consequently I will never be ending a work email with the phrase "Regards" again.
Post 9 made on Tuesday May 10, 2016 at 00:53
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
Joined:
Posts:
May 2007
16,655
Speaking of Savant...i finally saw it being used somewhere. In the background on TV at my hotel i saw a custom motor home that was being controlled by Savant. They didn't mention it or showcase it but i recognized the UI.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps
Post 10 made on Tuesday May 10, 2016 at 09:31
buzz
Super Member
Joined:
Posts:
May 2003
2,809
Has anyone attempted to sign up with Comcast as a CI? They ask that you sign an NDA. I'm not against NDA's in general, I've signed and respected my share, and I'm on various alphas and beta's, but the Comcast NDA seems both overly broad and restrictive. For example, I don't think that NDA signers could discuss techniques and experiences here. I'm not proposing that we share the Comcast road map, but if we stumble on quirk, I think that we should be able to discuss workarounds and share our own code. My read is that simply sharing IP command strings could be interpreted as a breach -- unless Comcast first openly published the strings somewhere. And it's up to the CI to discover these openly published bits. Simply discussing these NDA points might be considered a breach. (I have not yet signed at this writing)

This NDA would be fine for the pilot program announced a couple years ago. I don't think that it is appropriate moving forward now that the program has been released.

Does anyone else have a viewpoint?
Post 11 made on Tuesday May 10, 2016 at 10:02
ichbinbose
Select Member
Joined:
Posts:
August 2011
1,612
I will say this and only this. If you do networking, then you will be grateful to be in the program
OP | Post 12 made on Tuesday May 10, 2016 at 10:41
andrewinboulder
Senior Member
Joined:
Posts:
August 2003
1,202
On May 9, 2016 at 17:10, juliejacobson said...
Neal Roberts at comcast says ... soon, very soon.

I like that this guy is trying to help integrators. Just makes me wonder how the IR codes for Xfinity are such a pain in the butt if he's over seeing the design with integration in mind!
Post 13 made on Tuesday May 10, 2016 at 11:24
roddymcg
Loyal Member
Joined:
Posts:
September 2003
6,647
On May 10, 2016 at 10:41, andrewinboulder said...
I like that this guy is trying to help integrators. Just makes me wonder how the IR codes for Xfinity are such a pain in the butt if he's over seeing the design with integration in mind!

What issues are you having with Xfinity codes? Neal gave me codes a while ago that work fine with RTI, Savant, AMX, and Crestron that I have worked with over the years.

As for the 2 weeks comment, didn't RTI trade mark this?
Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued.
Post 14 made on Tuesday May 10, 2016 at 11:44
IRkiller
Advanced Member
Joined:
Posts:
May 2012
828
On May 10, 2016 at 11:24, roddymcg said...
What issues are you having with Xfinity codes? Neal gave me codes a while ago that work fine with RTI, Savant, AMX, and Crestron that I have worked with over the years.

As for the 2 weeks comment, didn't RTI trade mark this?

Are you saying they have IR codes w/ discrete power commands?
how in the hell does ernie make money?
Post 15 made on Tuesday May 10, 2016 at 12:20
buzz
Super Member
Joined:
Posts:
May 2003
2,809
On May 10, 2016 at 11:24, roddymcg said...
What issues are you having with Xfinity codes?

I like UI's that are fast operating and I tend to offer buttons that go directly to channels, such as "ESPN", "NBC", etc. Particularly with the X1 boxes, I must tweak my digit delivery timing -- and this might change after an overnight X1 update. Also, I'm a fast button pusher. Even when I'm dealing with the native remote, I'll overrun the box with my digits.

My hope is that with a proper IP interface I can just blast the digits and I'll have direct commands for items such as PowerOn, PowerOff, and the ability to offer a keyboard for searches.
Page 1 of 2


Jump to


Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse