Previous section Next section Previous page Next page Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Page 2 of 3
Topic:
Elan g! Training
This thread has 31 replies. Displaying posts 16 through 30.
Post 16 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 09:34
ichbinbose
August 2011
On February 26, 2012 at 01:44, SOUND.SD said...
My problem with Elan, C4, and any other "automation in a box" systems is that when the keypads start looking dated or are not up to current client wants / needs, the entire system has to be replaced.

I have always found it more effective, flexible, and efficient to use a control system with various control locations paired with the necessary hardware. Be it AV matrix, cameras, amps, lighting, etc. It allows you to use the best of the crop for each component. Just a better approach. Problem is guys constantly under bid by bidding this stuff that seems as powerful on demo but simply doesnt have the staying power.

this is not right at all. If you have a control4 system from 3 years ago, you can replace the old keypads with the new ones.
Are there faster processors now? Yes. Have any other major players released newer faster processors? Of course.
This does not require an entire new system.
Post 17 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 10:44
fcwilt
Advanced Member
September 2003
On February 26, 2012 at 01:44, SOUND.SD said...
My problem with Elan, C4, and any other "automation in a box" systems is that when the keypads start looking dated or are not up to current client wants / needs, the entire system has to be replaced.

You need to spend more time with Elan g!.

I just updated an older "g!" system to a new processor, new touch screens, new remotes. All the other existing equipment remained the same.

More over I have yet to find a piece of gear that I cannot hook into the g! system with a little work.

So using the "best of the crop" isn't an issue.
Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
Post 18 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 12:15
cgav
September 2009
For those that are more familiar with Elan G!, what cameras are best to use with them that are easily supported?
Post 19 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 12:53
oprahthehutt.
December 2011
On February 26, 2012 at 00:59, fcwilt said...
Why?

Cost.
Post 20 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 12:56
oprahthehutt.
December 2011
On February 26, 2012 at 12:15, cgav said...
For those that are more familiar with Elan G!, what cameras are best to use with them that are easily supported?

I like the Panasonic ones. But you can use anything with an encoder.
Post 21 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 16:19
fcwilt
Advanced Member
September 2003
On February 26, 2012 at 12:53, oprahthehutt. said...
Cost.

You think no touch screen would make a significant difference in price?
Post 22 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 16:22
fcwilt
Advanced Member
September 2003
On February 26, 2012 at 12:15, cgav said...

Axis work well. My Panasonics are streaming but I have no pan/tilt/zoom control - something is not right.
Post 23 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 16:42
Fins
Loyal Member
June 2007
On February 26, 2012 at 16:19, fcwilt said...

The HR2 is pretty dang competitive on the price. And with just hard buttons, how would you select sources? I agree, I don't think the price difference would be enough to matter. But even if it was noticeable, the confusion it would add back to the system wouldn't be worth it.
A drunk man's words are a sober man's thought

Post 24 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 17:02
oprahthehutt.
December 2011
On February 26, 2012 at 16:19, fcwilt said...

Honestly I have no idea. I do know that RTI's T1B is quite a bit cheaper then a T2C, so based off of that I would say yes. It could be significant.

I am not sure why Elan could not create a similar remote, or why it would be confusing to press a hard button labeled "Cable" or Blu ray.

Again this would only be used in secondary zones, like a guest bed, or kids room. If its not half the cost though you are right it is not worth the effort.

Post 25 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 17:04
oprahthehutt.
December 2011
Did you go through the integration note step by step? Is it a "supported" model number?
Post 26 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 19:18
fcwilt
Advanced Member
September 2003
On February 26, 2012 at 17:04, oprahthehutt. said...
Did you go through the integration note step by step? Is it a "supported" model number?

Who are you asking?
OP | Post 27 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 19:44
goldenzrule
July 2007
On February 26, 2012 at 19:18, fcwilt said...
Who are you asking?

I thought it was fairly clear he was responding to you saying you are having an issue with your Panasonic camera. I am pretty sure that all Panasonic cameras are supported with the exception of one model that is a very expensive large camera used on commercial jobs. I do not know the model number of that camera though.
Post 28 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 21:14
fcwilt
Advanced Member
September 2003
On February 26, 2012 at 19:44, goldenzrule said...
I thought it was fairly clear he was responding to you saying you are having an issue with your Panasonic camera.

Thanks - I wasn't sure.

Yes the models I use are listed as supported and I read the notes.

I will however go back and read them again to see if I overlooked anything.

They were part of the system that was upgraded from the older HomeLogic processor to the newest Elan g! HC4 processor. The cameras all worked fine before the upgrade.
Post 29 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 21:41
Fins
Loyal Member
June 2007
On February 26, 2012 at 21:14, fcwilt said...
Thanks - I wasn't sure.

Yes the models I use are listed as supported and I read the notes.

I will however go back and read them again to see if I overlooked anything.

They were part of the system that was upgraded from the older HomeLogic processor to the newest Elan g! HC4 processor. The cameras all worked fine before the upgrade.

Which version of g! Are you running? I know one of them had some minor glitches with the Panasonic driver, but they fixed it in an update.
A drunk man's words are a sober man's thought

Post 30 made on Sunday February 26, 2012 at 21:53
fcwilt
Advanced Member
September 2003
Well you re-learn something "new" everyday.

The Elan g! system allows you to specify a user name and password for each camera but (at least for the Panasonic cameras) doesn't use it for camera control.

So if you want to control the camera you MUST configure the Panasonic cameras for "guest" access - which I don't think is such a great idea but that is the way it is.

If you DO specify a user name and password both in Elan processor and the Panasonic camera, but no "guest" access, you can view the camera but not control it.

That seems kinda strange - when configuring the camera you have the same degree of control over what a user can do be it a "guest" user or a defined user.

I wonder why Elan chose to go the "guest" user route since both Elan and Panasonic support defined users???

In any case thanks for motivating me to go back to the app notes - I had forgotten about needing "guest" access.

Last edited by fcwilt on February 27, 2012 04:41.
Page 2 of 3

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse