Custom Installers' Lounge Forum - View Post
Previous section Next section Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Topic:
Ceiling fan with IR or RS-232 control?
This thread has 14 replies. Displaying all posts.
Post 1 made on Thursday July 14, 2011 at 14:41
Jason Allan
Long Time Member
June 2002
Does anyone know of any ceiling fans with IR or even RS-232 control? I've seen a few fans with remotes but they all appear to be some sort of proprietary RF.

Thanks
Post 2 made on Thursday July 14, 2011 at 14:57
davidcasemore
January 2003
RS-232? On a ceiling fan? Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! (Well, you could if you had a whole-house system like HomeWorks. It's just that the first thought that came to mind was a ceiling fan with a DB-9 connector:-)

Don't focus on the ceiling fan, focus on the wall switch. You will find several ceiling fan speed controls that you can control via IR and/or other protocols, such as UPB or Z-Wave.

[Link: lutron.com]

[Link: leviton.com]
Fins: Still Slamming' His Trunk on pilgrim's Small Weenie - One Trunk at a Time!
Post 3 made on Thursday July 14, 2011 at 15:03
motech
August 2008
agreed. if you are doing a control system, and a lighting system (i have to assume if you are controlling the fan you would be controlling the lights as well), most systems have options for wall switches that can handle fans.
Post 4 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 01:23
twilo123
Long Time Member
November 2007
leviton has a zwave fan switches also
Total Control
Video Surveillance For Mobile Phones
Iphone/Itouch IR Universal Remote & Zwave Remote www.totalcontrolapp.com
Post 5 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 01:42
davidcasemore
January 2003
On July 20, 2011 at 01:23, twilo123 said...
leviton has a zwave fan switches also

That's why I put a direct link to it two posts above your post:-)
Fins: Still Slamming' His Trunk on pilgrim's Small Weenie - One Trunk at a Time!
Post 6 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 01:55
twilo123
Long Time Member
November 2007
duh, my bad david. thanks for correcting :)
Total Control
Video Surveillance For Mobile Phones
Iphone/Itouch IR Universal Remote & Zwave Remote www.totalcontrolapp.com
Post 7 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 02:58
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On July 20, 2011 at 01:42, davidcasemore said...
That's why I put a direct link to it two posts above your post:-)

Yeah, but leviton and lutron look very similar when you're reading real fast.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw
Post 8 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 03:26
2nd rick
August 2002
WattStopper had a fan control in the Miro line with 2-way RS-232 communication via a module that communicated to the devices via RF...

I say 'had' because they disabled the 2-way communication on from the wireless products to satisfy a patent infringement claim from Lutron rather than pay the royalty and jack up the pricing.

The devices still exist (fan controls and the IR and RS-232 modules), but recent versions have a different firmware so now the RS-232 is one-way only and the devices do not send feedback.

The pricing is pretty decent compared to RadioRa.
Rick Murphy
Troy, MI
Post 9 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 06:55
drewski300
January 2007
On July 14, 2011 at 14:41, Jason Allan said...
Does anyone know of any ceiling fans with IR or even RS-232 control? I've seen a few fans with remotes but they all appear to be some sort of proprietary RF.

Thanks

Most of the switches that have been recommended are simply a switch that can handle a motor load. It's either on or off.

I know Lutron doesn't make a Radio Ra "fan" controller. Every time I talk to the area rep I give him s#$t about it. Apparently there is one in development but they don't have a timeline.
"Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"
Post 10 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 09:35
mr2channel
Select Member
August 2002
you could use UPB products to get it done and have 232....but to dim lights and control fan you would need to have it wired so the lights and fan are not on the same legs.
[Link: pulseworx.com]
[Link: pulseworx.com] the PIM-A for the 232 interface and I would recomend the PIM-U for loadinging (USB) program
[Link: pulseworx.com] for the lights
What part of "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." do you not understand?
OP | Post 11 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 09:58
Jason Allan
Long Time Member
June 2002
Thanks everyone. I should have been more specific about the ceiling fan. What I meant was a ceiling fan/light combo to replace an existing light fixture. I know about solutions using the switch as the control point but the problem with that is as mr2channel pointed out - you can't independently control the fan and lights from the same switch. That's why I was hoping there might be a fan/light combo that actually had an IR receiver instead of RF. I knew RS-232 was a huge long shot but I had to ask :).

However, running a second Romex to the fixture and using two switches or a combo switch isn't that big of a deal now that I think about it since it's an unfinished attic up above so I may just go that route. That will have to wait a while though since we're in the middle of a record heat wave and there's no way I'm crawling around in an insulated attic right now.
Post 12 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 10:26
2nd rick
August 2002
On July 20, 2011 at 06:55, drewski300 said...
Most of the switches that have been recommended are simply a switch that can handle a motor load. It's either on or off.

I know Lutron doesn't make a Radio Ra "fan" controller. Every time I talk to the area rep I give him s#$t about it. Apparently there is one in development but they don't have a timeline.

The Wattstopper Miro I mentioned is an actual fan controller with presets and a raise/lower function.

Here is a link to the fan control and the control

Lutron makes wallbox fan speed controls, but only manually operated models.
If you have to use Lutron RadioRa, you would use a RadioRa switch in the circuit ahead of one of the manual controls. It's not the most elegant solution, but it is a solution. (besides, most people leave the fans on the same speed setting anyway)
Rick Murphy
Troy, MI
Post 13 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 16:57
davidcasemore
January 2003
On 1311159345, drewski300 said...

Say what? Both of my links near the top of this thread are to Fan SPEED Controls. One is IR-based (Lutron link) and the other is Z-Wave (Leviton link)
Post 14 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 17:22
davidcasemore
January 2003
On July 20, 2011 at 09:58, Jason Allan said...
Thanks everyone. I should have been more specific about the ceiling fan. What I meant was a ceiling fan/light combo to replace an existing light fixture. I know about solutions using the switch as the control point but the problem with that is as mr2channel pointed out - you can't independently control the fan and lights from the same switch. That's why I was hoping there might be a fan/light combo that actually had an IR receiver instead of RF. I knew RS-232 was a huge long shot but I had to ask :).

WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO?

Stay out of the attic.

This Lutron Fan Speed/Light Dimmer Control fits in a one-gang box and uses the existing 14/2 Romex. The wall control comes in a boatload of colors.

A module fits inside the canopy of the fan.

The dual wall control is controlled at the wall switch or BY USING IR with the included remote control. Those commands can be "taught" to a universal remote.
Post 15 made on Wednesday July 20, 2011 at 17:23
davidcasemore
January 2003
On July 20, 2011 at 09:35, mr2channel said...
you could use UPB products to get it done and have 232....but to dim lights and control fan you would need to have it wired so the lights and fan are not on the same legs.

Or use this:

And not have to run another wire from switch to fan. Control would be via IR.

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse