The XR11 is made for Comcast by UEI, and is exclusively for use with the Xfinity X1 Entertainment Operating System, their newest set top box hardware.
It's a unique remote in a number of ways, including it's primary feature, voice control. Simply push the button with an image of a blue microphone, and the X1 will listen to your words and act on what you tell it. It takes simple commands like a channel name (ABC, NBCSN, etc.), will search for actor and program names (Jennifer Lopez, NCIS, etc.), and much more. You can also ask for recommendations like "What should I watch?", "Movies guide", "Show me more like Frozen", and "What's on tonight at eight o'clock?, based on predictive software the X1 incorporates.
On the technical side, UEI says it has "Embedded Zigbee RF4CE for low power use and reliable performance across all XFINITY services, and over-the-air firmware updates for the latest device codes and software upgrades."
- Controls up to three devices - a specific X1 box, audio device and TV. Takes literally a few minutes to set up, and the user interface is as simple as you can imagine. All you do is hold down the Setup button until a light turns green, and the on screen prompts walk you through the rest.
- The physical feel of the exterior surface is unique to my knowledge, like silk or Ultrasuede. It feels really nice in your hand, and the overall shape, weight, and balance contribute to the user experience.
- Motion controlled back light. It goes on with the slightest movement, not suddenly to jar your vision at night, but it ramps up nicely.
- Has both IR & RF, with the most powerful IR signal I've ever used.
- The dedicated non-X1 buttons are for TV Power, TV Input, and Volume / Mute buttons for the audio device. There is also an All Power button that's a macro for the three devices.
All in all, the best OE remote I've ever had. By a large margin.
Dimensions 7.2" x 2.9" x 0.9"
Weight - Approximately 6 oz[Link: iontrades.com]
Last edited by Ken H, AVS HDTV Forum on May 17, 2016 02:23.