THE CHALLENGE (SUMMARY)
I am trying to get an old(ish) Nokia TV working with Remote Control II. I think that this old TV needs an unmodulated IR signal (type 0x0100), but it seems that RCII only supports modulated 'learned' IR codes (type 0x0000). I am having some success in using modulated IR codes (with very high or very low frequency carriers) - any further hints or tips greatly appreciated!
The situation is a little desperate, but quite amusing. I am currently in Norway staying in a private apartment. The old remote control is long gone (i do not own the TV), so there is no scope for me learning IR codes from that. The problem is that the TV is only tuned into one of the terrestrial TV channels (NRK1); given that I don't speak much Norwegian, I would like to program the TV for the other three local channels (wahoo!) in order to quadruple my viewing options! I figured that this would be an 'interesting' exercise...
THE DETAILS (or "What I have learned so far")
- TV make/model: Nokia 5554 NICAM (id 5432 2372)
- Original remote: unknown
- I found a CCF file in the forums for another model of Nokia TV, and saw that it was a type "0100" (unmodulated) code. I put this into RCII, and simply changed the "0100" to a "0000" to force RCII into thinking this was a valid CCF. It worked! The only thing was that I had to hold my PDA (irDA) port within about 8 inches of the TV IR port.
- I found this excellent page by San Bergmans in the Netherlands:[Link: sbprojects.com]
(excellent work San - this is the only place on the web where I found any reference to this old unmodulated protocol and the word "Nokia").
- After examing the pulse timings in the CCF file which I had previously downloaded (for someone else's old Nokia TV they used in the kitchen), it seemed to match the pulse sequence pattern from the ITT protocol description on San's page. I was getting somewhere!
- Now, the CCF file I downloaded was not complete (i.e. not all commands had been learned), and I needed to find one of the "Programming" codes so that I can try tuning the TV. The next step was to start creating the CCF hex code sequences according to San's page; after a short while I had created a spreadsheet which allows me to create some basic (single-shot) CCF hex sequences. It seems to work OK, except I need to hold my PDA (irDA port) very close to the TV IR receiver (less than 8"). Given that I *have* to give RCII a modulated code (type 0000), I have been trying both high and low carrier frequencies with the same success - i.e. I always have to hold the PDA close to the TV.
Thanks for reading this far,