Previous section Next section Previous page Next page Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Page 2 of 2
Topic:
Education, education, education.
This thread has 28 replies. Displaying posts 16 through 29.
Post 16 made on Sunday March 15, 2020 at 15:54
Hi-FiGuy
January 2004
Do they speak English on What?
Post 17 made on Sunday March 15, 2020 at 15:55
Hi-FiGuy
January 2004
On March 7, 2020 at 10:08, buzz said...
Poor education is a tool of the autocrats. The poorly educated are much easier to manipulate.

Bingo
Do they speak English on What?
Post 18 made on Friday April 10, 2020 at 04:37
Jazh
March 2020
Friends, how do you think public education is successful for human development? Is it better to engage in self-education? and if so, how best to organize it?
A woman's beauty is one of her great missions.
OP | Post 19 made on Friday April 10, 2020 at 20:18
djy
RC Moderator
August 2001
On April 10, 2020 at 04:37, Jazh said...
Friends, how do you think public education is successful for human development? Is it better to engage in self-education? and if so, how best to organize it?

How would you know what you don't know unless someone educates you to the fact you don't know? And if one doesn't know, how does one then assess whether that someone actually knows what they're talking about?

For example, how can one claim "Global warming, which is mainly caused by humans, is causing an increase in natural disasters worldwide." when there is no empirical evidence to support such assertions?
Post 20 made on Thursday May 28, 2020 at 10:09
Dendy
May 2020
I think that a lot depends on a personís self-awareness - who wants to study and who consciously refuses to receive knowledge. Public education and self-education are also important. I prefer the second because at the university in my opinion there are a lot of subjects that we will not need in life, for example, writing an essay. Why do I need this in the future? therefore, I act rationally and order it from write my essay. In the meantime, I use my free time to listen to some interesting lectures on YouTube and get information from them that I can apply in my life

Last edited by Dendy on May 29, 2020 09:08.
Post 21 made on Thursday May 28, 2020 at 19:00
davidcasemore
January 2003
On April 10, 2020 at 20:18, djy said...

For example, how can one claim "Global warming, which is mainly caused by humans, is causing an increase in natural disasters worldwide." when there is no empirical evidence to support such assertions?

Substitute the words "god exists" for the sentence you have in italics. I would argue that there's a lot more empirical evidence to support climate change. But then again, how would you know what you don't know unless someone educates you to the fact that you don't know? And boy, do you not know.
Fins: Still Slamming' His Trunk on pilgrim's Small Weenie - One Trunk at a Time!
OP | Post 22 made on Friday May 29, 2020 at 03:20
djy
RC Moderator
August 2001
On May 28, 2020 at 19:00, davidcasemore said...
Substitute the words "god exists" for the sentence you have in italics. I would argue that there's a lot more empirical evidence to support climate change. But then again, how would you know what you don't know unless someone educates you to the fact that you don't know? And boy, do you not know.

Oh dear! I see the Dunning-Kruger persists.

I suggest you do a little research on "straw-man" argument.
Post 23 made on Saturday May 30, 2020 at 00:16
davidcasemore
January 2003
On May 29, 2020 at 03:20, djy said...
I suggest you do a little research on "straw-man" argument.

I suggest you do a little research on climate science. Or not. Who cares.
Fins: Still Slamming' His Trunk on pilgrim's Small Weenie - One Trunk at a Time!
OP | Post 24 made on Saturday May 30, 2020 at 04:40
djy
RC Moderator
August 2001
Who cares?

Well, clearly you do, though I do question your understanding. Let's take your previous comment, for example.

"Substitute the words 'god exists' for the sentence you have in italics. I would argue that there's a lot more empirical evidence to support climate change. But then again, how would you know what you don't know unless someone educates you to the fact that you don't know? And boy, do you not know."

So as to be clear, you suggest I replace:

"Global warming, which is mainly caused by humans, is causing an increase in natural disasters worldwide."

with

"God exists."

and then go on to assert "that there's a lot more empirical evidence to support climate change" than, I presume, God?

Well, with due apologies to those of faith, I entirely agree. Climate changes, I have never claimed otherwise. What I do challenge, though, is the proposition from Jazh (in a separate and now deleted post) that global warming is primarily anthropogenic and that there has been an increasing number of natural disasters as a result. Accordingly you have, (whether by design or ignorance), attempted to refute an argument I have not made and implied I deny something which I don't. Clearly you have, as the definition goes, attacked a strawman...

"A straw man (or strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man"."

So now that we're singing from the same hymn sheet, would you care to take up the challenge presented by Jazh and offer evidence in support of his(?) assertions?

Last edited by djy on May 30, 2020 07:08.
Post 25 made on Saturday May 30, 2020 at 20:09
davidcasemore
January 2003
On May 30, 2020 at 04:40, djy said...
So now that we're singing from the same hymn sheet, would you care to take up the challenge presented by Jazh and offer evidence in support of his(?) assertions?

No. Did you miss the part about "who cares"?

You should really move here. You have so much in common with our current President. He's a science denier too. He also tries, and fails, to be condescending just like you try and fail. You guys are cut from the same cloth.
OP | Post 26 made on Sunday May 31, 2020 at 12:25
djy
RC Moderator
August 2001
On May 30, 2020 at 20:09, davidcasemore said...
No. Did you miss the part about "who cares"?

You should really move here. You have so much in common with our current President. He's a science denier too. He also tries, and fails, to be condescending just like you try and fail. You guys are cut from the same cloth.

Did you not see where I said "clearly you do" - evidenced, once again, by your responding. The return to the banal is a little disappointing though.

Go on, be a devil, change the habit of lifeline, offer some evidence for your assertions.
Post 27 made on Wednesday July 15, 2020 at 06:26
Thomeena
June 2020
On May 30, 2020 at 04:40, djy said...
Who cares?

Well, clearly you do, though I do question your understanding. Let's take your previous comment, for example.

"Substitute the words 'god exists' for the sentence you have in italics. I would argue that there's a lot more empirical evidence to support climate change. But then again, how would you know what you don't know unless someone educates you to the fact that you don't know? And boy, do you not know."

So as to be clear, you suggest I replace:

"Global warming, which is mainly caused by humans, is causing an increase in natural disasters worldwide."

with

"God exists."

and then go on to assert "that there's a lot more empirical evidence to support climate change" than, I presume, God?

Well, with due apologies to those of faith, I entirely agree. Climate changes, I have never claimed otherwise. What I do challenge, though, is the proposition from Jazh (in a separate and now deleted post) that global warming is primarily anthropogenic and that there has been an increasing number of natural disasters as a result. Accordingly you have, (whether by design or ignorance), attempted to refute an argument I have not made and implied I deny something which I don't. Clearly you have, as the definition goes, attacked a strawman...

"A straw man (or strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man"."

I absolutely agree with you. Very useful and correct thoughts. but if a person really enjoys it, he can turn his hobby into making money. I think in the modern world the idea of an online university is very cool and important, as it will allow more students who simply have access to the Internet and a web camera, but do not have the extra money to get to the university, uniforms, textbooks and other attributes, to access education. There are also many difficulties for students with the admission process itself. For example, now I have difficulties with writing a personal statement. It is great that we are now in an information and advanced society and the company ​https://papersowl.com/write-my-personal-statement​​​ helps me write my personal statement. It has been difficult for me to write this type of written work as it is very difficult to write about myself. Online universities should take this into account and try to make the admissions process less bureaucratic and Kafkian. What do you think about it?

Last edited by Thomeena on July 28, 2020 02:49.
Post 28 made on Wednesday July 15, 2020 at 13:33
Pinker
March 2020
Education is one of the most important things in our life. Our future career and social life much depend on education. Nowadays students have little time for education, as almost everyone needs to work, at least part-time. I'm not an exception, and I also have no time for my home assignments. Last month I ordered a few papers from a writing service BuyEssayOnline, you can see here their review, but the quality of papers they delivered was very disappointing. I read their review, and saw that most of their customers were complaining with the same. Now I will always read reviews before applying to a writing service, and I advise you to do the sam

Last edited by Pinker on July 24, 2020 14:18.
Post 29 made on Wednesday August 5, 2020 at 20:16
remcat
August 2020
On March 7, 2020 at 10:08, buzz said...
Poor education is a tool of the autocrats. The poorly educated are much easier to manipulate.

I cannot agree with this, often people with education are also pretty stupid. I do not consider this to be an objective assessment of a person, and the ability to manipulate him. I studied mediocre and often spent more time hanging out than studying, used essay writing services like https://studydriver.com/, which many people disapprove of. But in the end, I do not consider myself a stupid person who can be manipulated. It often happens that I dictate the rules.

Last edited by remcat on August 6, 2020 20:52.
Page 2 of 2

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse