Update on 5/30/2020
I'm running Windows 10 ver 18362
After doing everything in this thread I can connect. I'm not sure that all steps were needed but I did the following.
1) Change the CCP program to run as administrator under compatibility settings. Then run the MDC installer from within CCP
2) Under computer management changed both
Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity
Windows Mobile-based device connectivity
to Log On using the Local System Account and checked allow service to interact with desktop. Additionally under recovery I changed all failures to Restart the Service.
3) Applied both registry patches from the stackoverflow link.[Link: stackoverflow.com]
REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RapiMgr /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WcesComm /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
from a command prompt. You must run the cmd app as an administrator for this to work.
4) From device manager find the unknown device that will show up when you plug in your remote. In my case a MX980. Install the driver from the list in the CCP program file location.
Now it works. Yea!