SUCCESS!! (with the Microsoft USB sync at least) For some unknown reason, uploading the default configuration from the MX-980 to the laptop kept failing. So I then tried downloading a configuration from CCP to the MX-980, which worked, after which uploading from the remote works. Go figure.
On September 11, 2010 at 19:35, dalto said...
Did you manually install windows mobile device center?
Yes, I installed it and the drivers according to ssabripo's instructions:
On December 2, 2009 at 15:51, ssabripo said...
ok guys, lets see if this helps some of you... finally got it working flawlessly:
download the latest microsoft mobile device center 6.1 (or later) 64-bit drivers directly from microsoft, and install. You may need .NET as well depending on your PC's installation.
Install CCP... when you get the error of "not compatible with your processor", don't worry.. just skip it.
Once done, Open CCP, and plug in your MX-980... you will see the Windows USB task message saying it is trying to install driver (it is actually looking for it online).
1. Go into the Device Manager
2. Look for Unknown device or Mobile device, Double click the icon for it
(if you are unsure, unplug the MX-980 and it should go away... you will then know you have the right device)
3. Click on the Driver tab
(here, you should see either no driver, or unknown driver, or URC Sync)
NOTE: Make sure you keep pressing a button on the MX-980 to keep it alive or it will time out and turn off!
4. Click update driver
5. Select "No not at this time"
6. Install from a list or specific location
7. Click don't search I will choose to the driver
8. Uncheck Show compatible hardware
9. Select Microsoft from the Manufacture list
10. Select Microsoft USB Sync
11. if you do not see this, you have to start over and keep trying until you get it. Once it is installed correctly, you will see the USB windows driver message in the task bar say it was installed correctly and ready to roll.
The selections I am offered aren't word-for-word what ssabripo writes, but they're close enough that I was able to follow. The key here was his statement to keep starting over until the Microsoft USB Sync shows up as an option. Both times I installed it, it took 3-4 tries before it finally showed.
Also, I document here what failed wrt installing the URC drivers just in case it is helpful to someone. These were all suggestions that claim to solve the "This operation requires an interactive window station" error in vista, which I get when attempting to install URC's drivers into windows 7.
- Disabled Windows defender
- Disabled Windows firewall
- Uninstalled spybot
- Disabled System Restore for C:
- Used msconfig to disable all but the basic startup items and services
Unfortunately, none of these worked (for me) and installing the URC's drivers into Windows 7 was not possible on my vaio.
But, I'm happy it's now working and I'm off to configure my system!