ok guys, lets see if this helps some of you... finally got it working flawlessly:
download the latest microsoft mobile device center 6.1 (or later) 64-bit drivers directly from microsoft, and install. You may need .NET as well depending on your PC's installation.
Install CCP... when you get the error of "not compatible with your processor", don't worry.. just skip it.
Once done, Open CCP, and plug in your MX-980... you will see the Windows USB task message saying it is trying to install driver (it is actually looking for it online).
1. Go into the Device Manager
2. Look for Unknown device or Mobile device, Double click the icon for it
(if you are unsure, unplug the MX-980 and it should go away... you will then know you have the right device)
3. Click on the Driver tab
(here, you should see either no driver, or unknown driver, or URC Sync)NOTE:
Make sure you keep pressing a button on the MX-980 to keep it alive or it will time out and turn off!
4. Click update driver
5. Select "No not at this time"
6. Install from a list or specific location
7. Click don't search I will choose to the driver
8. Uncheck Show compatible hardware
9. Select Microsoft from the Manufacture list
10. Select Microsoft USB Sync
11. if you do not see this, you have to start over and keep trying until you get it. Once it is installed correctly, you will see the USB windows driver message in the task bar say it was installed correctly and ready to roll.
Should now work with Win7 64-bit !!!!! You should now see the Microsoft Mobile Device client app appear every time you plug in the remote...something like this: