Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Saturday May 8, 2010 at 19:15
SB Smarthomes
July 2007
There are two electrical classifications in California. C7 Low voltage (not to exceed 91v) and C10 Electrical which covers everything else electrical including the low voltage.

In the last 3-4 years they've really tightened up the requirements for the C10 license. You either have to have 4800hrs (residential) or 8000hrs (commercial) experience to qualify to take the exam, or have been enrolled in an approved training/apprentice program. Electrical contractors used to be able to allow unlicensed employees to work under them if they had a qualified license holder within the company who would be responsible for the work. This is no longer true and EVERY contractor doing high voltage electrical work either needs to be licensed or enrolled as an apprentice at one of the qualified schools.

The key for California CIs licensed for low voltage (C7) is a clause which states the following: "If a specialty contractor has a contract for a certain job, he may do work other than that which he is licensed for if it is subordinate to and inseparable from the main contract work".

I take it to mean that I can install an outlet behind a tv or replace a couple light switches if it's part of a home theater install, or patch and paint a few small holes that I created to retrofit wiring.

I do partner with several C10 contractors that I'll bring in for jobs like whole-house automated lighting where the job includes installing or swapping out more than 2-3 switches, but I don't have a problem installing a power bridge type solution or extending an outlet behind a TV.

If I ever have any question about what or how to do something, I bring in an electrician.
www.sbsmarthomes.com
Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Hosting Services by ipHouse