The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Friday May 7, 2010 at 00:13
MKaram
Lurking Member
May 2010
I have used the luxul products before, and I think they are a bit overpriced for what they are.

The Prowav is little more than a signal amplifier and a high-gain antenna. This can be easily accomplished using a router w/ DD-WRT or Tomato and a high-gain rubber duck.

The problem with these sorts of systems is that the problem isn't getting the signal from the WAP to the wireless devices... the issue is the device transmitting back to the WAP. High gain antennae help with this but still don't solve the SNR problems (That's why people use multiple AP's)

My perspective is that the MX6000 on the Windows Mobile platform isn't adequately engineered. A WAP hop shouldn't cause the problems it does.

I have "solved" the problem in the same fashion a Luxul unit does: by increasing my WAP transmit power and sticking a high-gain antenna on it (costs about $70 for the WRT54GL and a high-gain antenna)
In this case, having multiple WAP's is actually detrimental to the MX6000. I had to use one SSID, broadcast from only one amplified WAP for the MX6000 and another SSID from all the other WAP's for the other devices in the home.

This stops the network hops and increases the effective range of a single AP; but it's still a sub-par method to compensate for inadequate engineering on URC's part :(

Hosting Services by ipHouse