Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday May 5, 2010 at 15:48
MKaram
Lurking Member
May 2010
Hi all,
I cross-posted this on AVS, but I figured I might have some luck here :D

I got a URC MX-6000 because I was excited about streaming the iPod music from a PSX-2 to my whole house system while getting the iPod screen and data to the remote.

It's all set up and the iPod works great.... but it has wifi problems.

I have my entire home set up with wifi properly. There are multiple hard-wired AP's throughout the home such that there are no spots with less than "3 bars" for the wifi on my PDA.
The wifi network is setup properly, all the channels are setup not to overlap, there is only one DHCP server etc etc. It's correct.
All of my electronics roam properly. They will jump to the strongest AP as needed.

All of them except the MX6000.
It will wait until it has actually lost the wifi signal completely before it searches for the next AP (even if it's right next to one it will stay attached to the original AP).

This causes the PSX-2 interface software to lockup and fail.

I believe my installer addressed this issue with URC and they told him something like "it doesn't roam, you need to set your AP's up as repeaters"

So I went through and set everything to repeater mode (I also tried WDS). This also did not work. The MX6000 stays tethered to the first AP it connects with.

Not to mention it's pretty ridiculous to require sub-par network standards like "repeaters" and extra-protocol setups like WDS because it cuts the throughput of my wireless network and some devices can't even do it.

The next thing that has been suggested to me is to use a "whole house" wifi system like the Luxul Pro-Wav.
These are basically high-gain antennas and high powered amplifiers. It *might* work but it's still a very poor "solution". Even if the wifi signal from a single point in my home can reach the devices, the transmitters in the devices will have trouble transmitting back to the Pro-Wav (and if it reaches it will have a pretty poor SNR)

There must be another solution here.
I cannot believe that URC would sell a product with the wifi so poorly implemented. Proper roaming is an essential part of a wifi network; there is no reason it should completely lose signal and fail before it searches for a stronger AP.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Hosting Services by ipHouse