Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Tuesday May 4, 2010 at 11:50
smokinghot
August 2006
On May 3, 2010 at 19:02, Anthony said...
Again, not trying to take anything away from Halak but how many of those 134 where actually good shots on net? that is what counts, yes in a way the team needs to try and block shots, but the reality is even more that the team's job is to make sure that the opposing team does not have good shots on net and what is done is easily stopped by the goalie. Once you get rid of the crap and semi-crap shots then you can compare the # of shots on net.

Well I think we agree on Halak performance so I'll let it stand at that. However, I personally can't stand the weak .vs. good shots on net arguement.

The fact is, a recorded shot is a puck that either hit the goalie, post, or a goal. "Weak" shots that go in are still counted as goals, so I don't see why they shouldn't be counted as tangible saves. Even a weak shot needs to be handled appropriate to prevent a 2nd chance. Considering the Caps had the best offensive numbers (goals) for the regular season. I don't think it much of a stretch to say that they can put "good" shots on the net. Montreal didn't even break the top ten for defensive ranking.

I had a friend of mine that's a Brodeur fan use the same arguement when I pulled out the shots against stat of Patrick Roy. (We were obviously discussing who's the better goalie) At that point (last year) Martin would have had to play every game and face 50+ shots each time for the next 4 years to equal Roy's stat. He of course countered with the "how many of those were 'good' shots". The only thing weak was the rebuttal, especially when your backing a team that perfected the neutral zone trap.
....Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Hosting Services by ipHouse