The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Tuesday April 13, 2010 at 10:26
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
On March 23, 2010 at 00:01, Hozer said...
It is impossible to define the best remote, but I would like find the best remote for myself.

My priorities (not necessities though since no remote will meet all criteria):
- DIY remote (I like to tinker a lot). This is a must.
- One handed remote
- Hard buttons for basic controls such as volume, navigation
- Hard buttons for playback controls and power
- Touchscreen (likely some hybrid of touchscreen and hard buttons)
- Good/Great ergonomics
- Interface to Windows Media Center in a really nice way.
- Interface to iTunes
- Under 3k. Below 2k would be nice. I would spring for more for a truly compatible remote.

Really, I find myself with limited options and not terribly excited about any of the offerings (current MX-900 owner and its outdated now).

- I like the MX-5000, but no power hard buttons. I really want those since I use those for all lights on and off since I also have a full home automation setup.

- The pronto offerings are interesting, but the 9400 and 9300 don't have playback control. May be able to live with this, but not sure if they are motion activated touchscreens.

Oh yeah, its a long video...but something to fill this gap is what I am looking for:

So that is my short list. What other candidates should I consider? At this point, that is the information I am really interested in.

There really isn't an all in one solution if you require a hand held remote. Our typical solution is to provide a large touchpanel and a hand held remote. The hand held remote is for watching TV and the large touchpanel is for subsystem monitoring & control of source that you need feedback for.

As for the prontos.....

Pro: They have 5 soft keys that you can use for transport control.
Con: You dont get all 8 (typical DVR) and you cant use the soft keys for anything else.

IMO there isnt much of a difference between URC to RTI in terms of form factor/hard buttons etc. Neither of them will...

- Interface to Windows Media Center in a really nice way.
- Interface to iTunes

ITunes maybe if you just mean access to the audio & video files via AppleTV or an Ipod dock.

My advice would be to stick with the MX-900 or maybe move to the MX-980 if you want to keep your ON/OFF buttons. IMO ON/OFF buttons do not belong on a PC customizable remotes that have softkeys and touchscreens and i am glad that URC ditched them with the MX-5000 & MX-6000.

This remote looks like it might get you most of the way there. [Link: remotecentral.com]
Touchscreen/2way/hardbuttons and a programmable 5way joystick that might work out for WMC "mouse" navigation. [Link: procontrol.com]

Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse