The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday March 16, 2010 at 20:14
pnnielsen
Long Time Member
February 2010
On March 15, 2010 at 20:43, Lyndel McGee said...
BluPhenix's approach is correct. You will need to connect shield to the cable that would normally be connected to RFX9600 DB9-Pin5 or Phoenix Connector Pin3 (3 is ground IIRC).

If you are planning on using both Ports 3 and 4, you should be aware of this:

[Link: remotecentral.com]

Search this forum for UART for more hits.

Wow! Very useful info.

I've noticed another oddity: When doing 2-way communication, the RFX9600 seems to be very "slow" when it comes to receiving data. I'm using a 57400 connection. The pre-pro I'm using (TacT TCS Mk III) has an RS-232 command for emulating a prolonged press of volume up/down (i.e. repeat) so that the volume can be raised/lowered the same way as over IR. Interestingly TacT has implemented this for the "inexperienced programmer", so the way it works is the processor delays responding to the send until it's ready for the next repeat. Anyway, the process of incrementing volume from 0 to 100 takes 20 seconds on the Pronto. On a PC (and via IR) it takes only 15 seconds. I have implemented my own "replica" of the TacT algorithm that only sends data, and it's able to do the job right. However, I'm puzzled why the receives are so sluggish and why a PC can do it right....

Lyndel, do you have any experience/insight in slow data reception of the 9600? (i.e. the time between when data is received on the port to the time it takes for the "receive" command to see the data. I've tried both regular expressions and simply wait for number of bytes received, and both are just as slow).

Thanks,
Peter

Hosting Services by ipHouse