The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Monday March 8, 2010 at 17:51
jjw 2009
Long Time Member
May 2009
i Ran cat5 from the XP8 to the door switch. My Garage door uses 24v from the motor to the switch. Because it was 24v i used all the striped conductors for negative, and solid conductors for postive. (I ran out of low voltage wire from a previous job). I would check yours voltage and make its no more than 30v and then use whatever cabling you feel comfortable with.

On the XP8 side i connected it to one of the relay outputs, and on the door switch in the garage i connected the two conductors to the screw terminals on the back of the switch. (mine were white and red terminals).

You can choose to run your wire to the motor if you wish. I choose not to because it meant taking down 36" tires from my tire rack near the ceiling heh.

After that, i set up a macro on the XP8
"Garage door"
- Set flag Garage door
- If flag TV is set Then
change TV to security channel
- Close relay Garage door
- delay .2 seconds
- open relay Garage door
- clear flag Garage door

This checks to see if TV is on, if it does, it forces the TV to watch the garage as the door is opening and closing. You can also set a timer in this macro or call another macro in 30 secs that tells the tv to switch back to the last TV channel.

added features of this application, you can have the garage door open from the Rk3 and then the client can turn on their remote car starter and they don't flood the garage of fumes. You can also tie this into a fob system, or card reader to open and close the garage door. A lot of possibilities.

Hosting Services by ipHouse