The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Thursday March 4, 2010 at 10:41
thefish
Founding Member
September 2001
On March 4, 2010 at 08:35, mrtristan said...
I have a customer who likes the look of a curved screen and wants a 120" 16x9, acoustically transparant. Screen Research is too much so I'm hoping to find an economical model.

Define "economical" I doubt you wouldfind a curved AT screen for less than $5k

Is there an appropriate time to do a curved screen? Could it actually make a picture worse than it would look on a flat screen? The projector is an Epson 8500 that can be placed at any distance right now.

What would you recommend?

The reason for doing a curved screen is to reduce pincushon from an anamorphic lense. Also adds viewer imersion. I don't know why anyone would even build a 16:9 curved screen. If you did a 16:9 curved screen, witn no anamprphic lense, obviously, the image would be defocused at the edges.

In the right app, with the right proj, a 2:35 cinecurve is awesome. I have a 110" in my office.

Personally, I think a 16:9 curved screen, if you can find one, with a 16:9 projector, is a waste of money.

I'm sure Stewart would build you whatever you want, but it won't cheap.

My advce is, if this guy really likes a curved screen, is do a Stewart cinecurve, non AT screen, and move the speakers and upgrade him to a better proj (or add an anamprohic lense to that one if you can (at least $3k) and anamorphic lense. The AT option will at least double the price of the screen.

Hosting Services by ipHouse