The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Tuesday March 2, 2010 at 03:22
3FG
Select Member
August 2009
Not sure I follow this. The VL610 is itself cheap, if not dirt cheap. One of its biggest virtues is the large memory for learning. But, what's the point of getting a computer programmable remote so that you can teach the Sony? Isn't that just a waste of money? A computer programmed remote will generally do a better job of shooting IR, because the signal is more accurately formed, and because e.g. components which use toggle bits in the IR signal will work correctly with a computer programmed remote, and poorly with a learned signal.

Take a look at the OneForAll URC-10820, a 10 device remote with more buttons than the Sony. It's a JP1.3 remote, so for <$20 for the remote and $30 for a USB interface cable, you can program up any discrete signal.

For many IR signals, you don't even need the computer interface-- you can just assign Extended Function Codes to buttons to do the discrete functions. That's right-- the OFA (and other remotes made by UEI) can be manually programmed on a button by button basis.

I think it makes sense to use a UEI remote to teach a higher end LCD screen remote. I'm having trouble seeing the value in using a VL610 in preference to the teaching remote-- the user interface and expense are comparable.

Hosting Services by ipHouse