The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Monday March 1, 2010 at 14:07
hd fan
Long Time Member
March 2006
On February 26, 2010 at 19:02, Daniel Tonks said...
Yeah, I really think it was a mistake to not completely abandon VHF. UHF antennas are so much easier for the population to deal with.

I do not think so. Markets like ours , GTA, with only very few TV channels will have no problem accomodating everyone within the now narrower UHF band (14 - 51). But what about South Florida for instance with Miami and Naples occupying almost every channel on both bands. I was acctually surprised when I came to Toronto that there were only a handfull of channels available after being used to watch those from Florida back in Havana. And even now there are a few more channels like Telefutura, Mega TV, CH 41 and who knows which more. The North American standard , ATSC , has to accomodate everyone not only a few markets like ours.

I beleive during testing there were problems with CH 2 and CH 3 on the low VHF band, impulse noise EMI related, so unless no other choice no one will probably use those. The world is bandwith hungry , and will always be, so rather that getting rid of frecuencies or channels, we acctually need more.

Other countries got rid of VHF and are going to use UHF fully for DTV but as per wikipedia the end of the UHF band was auctioned at a higher prize in NA by the FCC , so maybe this is the "technical" explanation, lol. And as usual, Canada followed suit.

Hosting Services by ipHouse