Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Friday February 26, 2010 at 15:23
Audible Solutions
March 2004
On February 26, 2010 at 14:38, Other said...
Here is an example of what I was talking about.

I did a very basic room with a flat panel, AVR, TV, Blu-ray, and a CD player.

The AVR had an AM/FM tuner in it. Select that as a source and the TV is turned on. A) that shouldn't have been included in the macro to start with, but more iportantly B) I coudn't find anywhere in Composer to tell it to not do that.

I get a bit of grief on board for having learned Systembuilder--though I may be overstating it. I'm very good at Systembuilder but hardly an expert. Anyway, in one of the setup screens in Composer you assign inputs to the AVR and display upon turn on. And you could fix it in systembuilder, though Systembuilder tends to like programming such as,

If Bluray on HDMI 2 is selected
then
Turn on TV, (wait 300), select input HDMI1;

You're stuck with this logic due to the underlying macros and the scrolling source and room macros.

I've had logic such as
If all rooms off fb is true
deslect group1, group2, group3, groupn;

brake under one database and then start working under an other, after I'd coded around it.

The underlying macros use analog volume signals, which can be an issue if your pre/pro module is anticipating a digital signal. Begin rewriting modules now....

I'm making more out of this then it's worth but the point I am trying to make is that you code Systembuilder with a different mentality than Simpl. It's feedback oriented. But there are 20 ways to code. If button join 1221 = ture then pulse TV on, (wait 300), pusle HDMI1;

There are certain things they leave out that cause you to shake your head. The only way to get the day of the week or am/pm state is to pull a TSTAT into Systembuilder. That macro gives you the ability to adjust system time, output PM state and current day of the week. But how about the date? They give you scheduling but not the date. If you cannot write modules you're out of luck.

I don't know about you, but I like providing this basic data on every touch panel. OK, I wrote the module--hardly an accomplishment, but I'd wager no Prodigy only dealer can write any module.

You don't see the signal names in the same way in Systembuilder as you do in Simpl. If you did not know to look in the macro, you'd not even know that you could build am/pm logic or current day of the week. Not only to you have to learn to manipulate Systembuilder but you have to understand the macros beneath the hood--and since they're not exposed it becomes a kind of cat and mouse game till you learn how to manipulate it.

Systembuilder, when it works, is an amazing tool. I'd much rather keep control and I've had some horrible experiences with it when it self-destructed. I will also tell you that using Systembuilder to code a lot of non-crestron is among the least enjoyable tasks I've ever done. There is no good copy and paste mechinism for logic. You can move signals from SIO A to SIO B or com ports really quickly in Simpl. It's much more time consuming in Systembuilder. I've written a ton of macros that would be serial in Simpl but are logic in Systembuilder.

The irony is that there is little you cannot do in Simpl that cannot be done in Systembuilder. It just gets done differently.

Alan
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse