The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Wednesday February 3, 2010 at 03:47
gruswitz
Long Time Member
December 2007
I'll step back my comment Jeff. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your tone. The list of brand names did not address my intended question and in combination with the Google signature, it seemed really snotty to me.

As for the original question however (if anyone is still willing to listen to me) let me try to be a bit more clear as to my intent. I am remote programming novice that has configured only Harmony and Pronto remotes. I am familiar with the Pronto products and I am aware of their ability to communicate via IP. When working through the Pronto software however, it seems a significant undertaking to understand and configure the commands via IP for each device. I assume that is why there are custom installers and the hefty pricetags.

Am I correct that there is not currently a remote that is a consumer friendly as the Harmony remotes that controls via IP? I know there are iPhone apps that control individual devices via IP commands, but no current offerings that try to bring multiple devices together as a universal IP remote for iPhone. There are a lot of IP programing experts here and I am curious if anyone is working toward bringing the IP controls form professional touchscreen devices to consumer devices like android phones or iPhones and bring a more universal remote function.

I know there is a Crestron app that requires their controller. Savant and a few others have controller based systems with iPhone or android controllers, but there are big price tag attached. I know there are several IR emitter control apps as well. IP commands don't really require a controller device however and it seems like an ambitious custom installer could bring their knowledge to the smartphone platforms for a good consumer product.

Is this more difficult than I understand?

Hosting Services by ipHouse