The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Tuesday February 2, 2010 at 10:47
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
On February 2, 2010 at 01:44, Ernie Bornn-Gilman said...
What do you do if, on the last one of those beautifully uniform wires, you make a mistake and punch down on the wrong color? You accidentally cut your wire going to the last jack and punch it down on the next to last, now needing at least another inch. Has slack been shoved willy-nilly up into the wall to allow for such human error?

There is a 10' service loop above the rack for every wire. In that house there was a loft above the control room and the client requested the long service loop. Normally there is about 6' in a drop ceiling above the racks. If/when their is a mistake i can slide the cable out of the bundle very easily. In most cases i can pull down a couple inches and thread it right thru the bundle where i pulled it out.

You can see the opening from the loft if you look at the cresnet pic.

I actually have that question about each wire termination method shown in the | other illustrations. Speaker wire, mistake made, have to shorten one wire
1/2". Crimp RCA doesn't work, has to be cut off and one wire shortened.
You take a Cresnet to the wrong connector and now the wire is too short to
go to the correct one. What does one do?

I do the same thing i do with the Cat5 cables.

Let it suffice for me to say that every one of these is neater than everything I've ever seen except for military electronic wiring.

The reason its so neat is because i first pull every cable from the ceiling thru an access panel thats located about a foot back from where i plan to bring them thru the ceiling into the racks. I separate every bundle. Blue Cat5's Gray Cat5's Cresnet whatever. I pull the group for voice and the group for phones and then video then audio etc. I put a zip tie up as high as i can on each of these bundles and then i start making the bundles neat a few inches at a time and i put another zip tie on and so on and so forth until i have about 10' of perfect bundles. Then i route them thru drilled holes or cut slots that are right above the rear of the racks so they fall right on the rear rails or just inside them in the case of the patch panels.

I use the same technique with wall mount patch panels. The access panel lets you create nice neat service loops that you can get to when you need to.

Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse