Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday January 29, 2010 at 18:45
frenchaxim
Long Time Member
August 2003
Hello

I am considering using my iphone as a universal remote to replace my Pronto TSU7000 (as i got a Sonos ZP90, which cannot be controlled by the TSU 7000).
All solutions (that I have seen) designed to be used with a wifi only device (no IR) rely on a network adapter such as Global Caché 100 or IRTRANS.
I wonder if this is very reliable: works fast 100%, or it is very unstable?
My concerns regard wifi issues that I have with the iPhone in particular. There are a number of applications for the iphone that use wifi to synch between iphone and pc, via the local network. And it is notoriously unstable (often nned to make 5 to 6 attempts before actually establishing a connection).
Iphone itself picks up the wifi network really fast though.
So the issue seems to be ability to create a peer to peer connection over local wifi.
Currently I use the iPod Touch and iPhone to remote control Sonos (via wifi). Strangely enough, it works flawlessly with the iPod, but the connection is hard with the iPhone. I don't want to take a chance if my entire system relies on this connection.

So before spending time and money for a network adapter, I would like some feedback!

Thanks

Hosting Services by ipHouse