The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Monday December 28, 2009 at 14:51
dalto
Long Time Member
July 2005
OK, since we are being honest here lets talk about who this policy does and does not effect.

Any prospective consumer who wants to purchase one of these remotes can easily find an authorized dealer who will sell them the remote and provide the software. So if you want one you can get one fairly easily.

URC has demonstrated many times that if you buy from an authorized dealer and that dealer goes out of business they will typically provide you the software if you call them and explain the situation.

So, who does that leave.

1 - People who buy their remotes on ebay or via other unauthorized channels. URC has no desire to support these people and they are not alone in this. Many other manufactures refuse to provide support or downloads to people who acquire their hardware through unauthorized channels. URC is not alone in this.

2 - People who buy from installers who won't provide them the software. While I certainly don't agree with this business practice the one to blame here is not URC but the dealer themselves.

3 - People who buy equipment in the used market. In my opinion, these are really the only people who get screwed.

In the end, the URC's current policy protects them from gray market sales and empowers their dealers to enact their own support policies. Consumers on the other hand continue to have the ability to acquire the software from reputable authorized dealers. Since many other manufacturers in this space do not allow consumers to have the software at all. I am happy to be able to program these remotes at all.

Last edited by dalto on December 28, 2009 16:55.

Hosting Services by ipHouse